PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > The Mole Hole

Old 08-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
maggiemel
Green Mole

More on Punks

I guess I scared everybody away when I posted about my punk past.

So, it turns out that punk must run in the family blood. I went to see my (younger) cousin's band, Urban Riot, play at CBGBs last night here in NYC. Haven't been in CB's for almost 20 years -- my boyfriend had never been in there. We were the oldest people (by about double the oldest person's age) in there.

Urban Riot is a hardcore band. They were loud and energetic and you couldn't understand a word of the screamed lyrics. Awesome. I felt like I was 15 again.

There were skinheads slamming in the front near the stage, and tattooed punk chicks clinging to the perimeter of the room. I took a few hits to the head and belly when I went to take some photos of the band. It didn't hurt -- it kinda felt good.

My boyfriend, who is from Ireland, said he'd never seen such a diverse group of skinheads: latino, asian, black and white. He lived for a while in England and said that the London skins would have kicked the *#$^#&$ out of him for being Irish -- no matter that he's white! New York skins are apparently not racists.

I'm going to try and upload a picture of Urban Riot for your enjoyment and edification.

Give punk a chance!
maggiemel is offline   Reply With Quote