PDA

View Full Version : auto indexing without shell command

takpoli
04-26-2004, 08:56 AM
I just sign up with Powweb (up to 1G of mysql space) for web hosting before realizing no telnet support from them. Could Phpdig auto indexing be done without shell command?

takpoli
04-29-2004, 07:26 AM
After more reading of the document, I do understand cron job is needed for auto indexing. However, more and more low cost hosting service are not supporting telnet. It seems there is a need to address this problem.

In looking for auction packages, I came across with the following:

"Phpauction also requires the ability to set up cron jobs (under *nix systems). This is needed to periodically run the script (cron.php) responsible for checking expired auctions, updating the database accordingly, and sending notification e-mails to sellers and buyers.
If you don't have access to cron, there are other possible solutions to run cron.php (see Tutorials section in the Manual). You may also set an option in admin to automatically have cron.php run from your index.php page."

I wonder whethere we can borrow something there. I wish our Charter can have time to make it real. For the member of this community, if we have a need, we should make our voice be heard. If some donation is needed, I believe we can address it.