PDA

View Full Version : Searching data in MySQL database

maheshg
03-23-2004, 12:45 PM
I found out about PhpDIG just today. From the documentation I read, I could not find anything on if it can search MySQL database. I need both the ability to search HTML page (which I can do using PhpDIG) plus the ability to search at certain fields in MySQL database. If there is a hit on on a certain record, that would show up on the screen as a URL that is stored in another field. Can I do that using PhpDig?

Thanks for your time
Mahesh

vinyl-junkie
03-24-2004, 04:46 AM
Welcome to the forum, maheshg! We're glad to have you here. :)

phpDig only searches web pages. It won't search through a database. In order to have a database search engine, you would have to write a custom application.

Hope this helps. :)

maheshg
03-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks Pat! Appreciate the quick response. I can write something custom. I was hoping to find something that would print out my search results in the nice PHPDig-like output format.

So if I use PHPDig and write something custom for my database search, do you have any suggestions on how I can combine the results so that the two outputs can be combined and made to look alike and it is seamless.

Also, are you aware of any other tools that would do search MySQL DB?

Thanks in advance
Mahesh

vinyl-junkie
03-24-2004, 10:21 AM
I have some things on my website which are probably similar to what you are looking at having. Specifically, I have a search page which looks up certain information from a music database on my site. You can look at the search page itself here (http://www.napathon.net/MusicDBSearch.php). Also, I have display pages that utilize that same database. This page (http://www.napathon.net/MyCollection1.php) is one example.

I would be happy to share some of this code with you via PM if you're interested (since it's getting a bit off topic from this forum). It might give you some idea of how to approach your own project. I should tell you though that I'm away from home at the moment and don't have access to my code right now to give you, but I'd be happy to do that when I'm back home.

I guess the important distinction here is that what I'm talking about is a database search engine, whereas phpDig is a website search engine. There is a distinct difference between the two.

Hope this helps. :)