PDA

View Full Version : Indexing by command line...

Canadian
01-04-2004, 12:08 PM
I have alist of URLs to index contained in a text file. I would like to index them by command line. In reading the documentation I do not understand PHP well enough to know what "Launched by the shell" means. Is the command interface soemthing I launch in the browser or.... ??

Thanks for any insight on this.

Joel

Charter
01-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi. Command line basically means to use SSH/Telnet. If interested, there is a cron job tutorial here (http://www.phpdig.net/showthread.php?threadid=323).

Canadian
01-04-2004, 03:07 PM
We are getting closer.... I have setup the Cronjob according to the tutorial... but i do not have shell access to the server :(

Any way to setup the cronjob to work on its own without needing shell access?

Canadian
01-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Ok I have changed my mind.... now I do have Shell Access (just got it setup). I am trying now to go back and follow what looks like a simple one line command in the documentation (section 8).

This is what i have been trying..... can you see any obvious errors (it does ntohing, no error code, just does nothing at all).....
#php -f /searchengine/admin/spider.php /searchengine/admin/SO_URLS.txt

Canadian
01-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Problem solved! Still have some of hair too..... for anyone interested..... when using SSH do not actually type the "#" prior to your commands...... and by the way now that I am using this system, indexing by command interface from textfile lists proves about twice as efficient if you are compiling your index from a paper list.