PDA

View Full Version : Hi all,

Warmbells
09-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Hi I'm Warmbells and am the webmaster for Animals in Distress, an animal rescue charity in the northwest of England. I've only just downloaded and installed the program today, I was using Atomz.com but as the site has gone over 500 pages it no longer indexes it properly, it may take me a few days before I have the search running on the site.

I have question, is it possible to have the search case insensitive so if someone typed in littleborough instead of Littleborough it would display it.

Great program and look forward to getting it available to our site visitors.

Warmbells

vinyl-junkie
09-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Welcome to the forum, Warmbells. We're glad you could join us. :D

I ran into the same problem with Atomz myself. I like their search engine, but their page limit is pretty small for the free version and the pay version is literally thousands of dollars! :eek:

To answer your question about phpdig searches, they are case insensitive. Both littleborough and Littleborough will be found by searches if those words are in your index.

Good luck with your installation and setup of phpdig. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Warmbells
09-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the reply, everything is working just as I want it so I'll be ditching Atomz.com soon, I donate the website to the animal charity and it does cost me a little to run it so I cannot afford to give money to Atomz just to index the site, I'm actually trying to raise money for the charity through the website.

Warmbells

Warmbells
09-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Hi,

Just received the following email from Atomz.com after telling them I no longer found their product to be of use:-

Dear Atomz Express Customer,

We're writing to let you know about a number of changes to the Atomz Express Search service which we have been providing at no charge for your site "Animals in Distress" at http://www.animals-in-distress.net/. These changes will be made effective by September 30th, 2004 and will only apply to the Atomz Express Search service.

For five years as a service to the Internet community, we have provided Atomz Express Search at no charge and with no advertising. To help offset the cost to continue to provide this service, we will be adding contextual advertising before and after the search results. This advertising will be delivered by Google, our advertising partner. The 'sponsored links' will be purely text-based and will be driven off the search keywords entered. They will be visually distinct from your search results, so your visitors know what results are for your site, separate from the advertising.

At the same time, we will be upgrading your service with more features and capabilities, and will continue to serve you with the high level of customer support and reliability that Atomz has provided to you over the years. Here are some of the enhancements we will provide:

* Your Atomz Express Search account(s) will have the page limits increased from 500 to 750. You may need to re-index your site in order to capture additional pages in your index beyond the 500-page limit.
* Your Atomz Express Search account(s) will now be enabled to allow for the crawling, indexing and searching of Adobe PDF content. To take advantage of this feature, you will need to go to the Content Types page in your search account, click the PDF documents checkbox, and then re-index your site in order to capture the PDF content in your site's search index.
* The Atomz logo will no longer be displayed at the top of search results pages.

Thank you for choosing Atomz. We look forward to many more years of supporting your site. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us via email at support@atomz.com.

Sincerely,

The Atomz Team

Makes you think dosen't it.

Warmbells

vinyl-junkie
09-23-2004, 06:08 PM
* Your Atomz Express Search account(s) will have the page limits increased from 500 to 750.Their generosity overwhelms me. :rolleyes: As I said, I like their search engine, but I have over 1,500 pages on my site. The free version doesn't cut it, and if my memory serves me correctly, the pay version was about $16,000 per year. :what: Yes, you read that right.

Let me tell you, I've tried a lot of website search engines. You might find one as good as phpdig, but you won't find one better.