PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > The Mole Hole

Old 04-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
Psycho1
Green Mole

Do web hosts complain on shared servers?

I'd really like to utilize PHP Dig on my site, but I don't have the money to buy my own dedicated server. Does anyone here use PHPDig on a shared hosting account? I would only be using PHP Dig to crawl my site for now....maybe later I'll select a few other sites for it to crawl...think my host will complain? My web host gives me a lot of freedom, but I would like to know if many web hosts have a problem running PHP Dig on shared hosting accounts. Thanks for any feedback on this manner!
Psycho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Welcome to the forum, Psycho1. We're glad you could join us!

I'm on shared hosting myself, and my web host has never complained about me using phpDig on my site. I think the only beef they might have is if you went over your bandwidth allotment for the month. Even then, they'd probably just charge you extra for it rather than complain about it. If your web host complained about your use of phpDig, I think I'd find another host if I were you.

Just my $0.02.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
Psycho1
Green Mole

Thanks, I'm glad that I shouldn't have a problem using PHP Dig!!!! I'll definitely be a frequent visitor to this forum as I start using PHP Dig and start customizing it!!
Psycho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
Jad
Green Mole

they have the right to complained only if you use it to eat their system resources
else DIG IN!
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:59 AM   #5
vorphalack
Green Mole

There is a step between regular shared hosting and getting your own dedicated server - it's called VPS, and I see the smaller plans at around $40 a month. We just had to upgrade to this.

We still may upgrade to a dedicated server in the near future, but this took care of our immediate need to upgrade. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.hostforweb.com/vps.html (we are hosted here, the $39.99 plan - if anyone wants to sign up and give a referral, we'd appreciate it user nopuppy)
http://www.ev1servers.net/english/vps_series.asp

We apparently had a problem using too much CPU on the shared hosting account we had with hostforweb so had to upgrade... but now we aren't limited (and server load average as shown in the vbulletin admincp is down at like 0.18 where before it often showed 30.xx lol)
vorphalack is offline   Reply With Quote