PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > How-to Forum

Old 01-13-2004, 05:41 AM   #1
haxored
Green Mole

spidering links but not their text

I've got a bunch of pages with a navigation menu on it, as well as some text I don't want indexed.

I want to exclude everything but a <div> tag that contains all the text I want to index.. However...

it seems that if I do that, all of the links in my navigation menu aren't spidered. That is not helpful.

How can I get phpDig to spider my entire site, but only index one section of every page?
haxored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. You might try using PHPDIG_EXCLUDE_COMMENT and PHPDIG_INCLUDE_COMMENT from the config file, each on their own line, to exclude a portion of a page. Depending on your navigation menu, it might not be getting indexed because PhpDig excludes certain tags from index. If this is the case, you might try setting up a simple HTML page with links to your site, and then crawl this page. Once the crawl is done, you can delete the simple page from the admin panel.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 01:23 AM   #3
MaXius
Green Mole

I have a similar problem,

I have a pulldown menu, (div tags) and phpdig pulls all the menu options into the search results, hence most words you would search for are on alll pages. in a big ugly mess.

Does phpdig still crawl the links within a PHPDIG_EXCLUDE_COMMENT area even tho it doesnt put these into its database?

Thanks
MaXius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:58 AM   #4
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. The exclude/include comments are for omitting parts of a page from indexing.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
MaXius
Green Mole

Yeh, gathered that... does it still spider the links within an excluded part tho...?

Ta
MaXius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. Using the below simple example, PhpDig works as follows:
Code:
<html>
<body>
This text is indexed
<!-- phpdigExclude -->
<a href="http://www.this_link.com/is_followed.html">This text is ignored</a>
This text is also ignored
<!-- phpdigInclude -->
</body>
</html>
To change this behavior, the phpdigExplore and/or phpdigIndexFile functions in robot_functions.php could be modified.