PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > Troubleshooting

Old 07-12-2004, 06:25 AM   #16
davenewt
Green Mole

Hang on, just tried re-indexing the root and it seems to be working... sorry, not sure how or why, but I'm getting a ton of output, which is a good sign

Will report back...
davenewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:30 AM   #17
Charter
Head Mole

Server error logs...
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:56 AM   #18
davenewt
Green Mole

Server logs... thought that's what you meant... anyway, seems I had to "Dig This" to add the site to start with, then use the "Update Form" part of the Admin interface and click the green tick icon next to "Root" to re-index.

However...

Doing this initially started to pick up all links to the forum directory, so I added a robots.txt file to exclude this directory.

Now I have discovered the main problem. The only navigation on the site so far is via a dynamic javascript menu which is added to the HTML at runtime. There are no links (except to the aforementioned forums) in the body of the HTML.

How can I spider sub-directories which aren't linked to from the root index file? Do I need to add a line of navigation to the bottom of the index page which will make the spider aware of the subdirectories, or can I tell the spider to look for them some other way?

Almost there Thanks so much for the help.

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:33 PM   #19
Charter
Head Mole

>> How can I spider sub-directories which aren't linked to from the root index file?

Check out PhpDig version 1.8.2...
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:15 AM   #20
davenewt
Green Mole

To update from 1.8.0 can I just copy over all the files, or is there a safer process? Just checking in case I'm about to screw up something else
Old 07-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #21
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. Yes, copy over all the files, add the new tables, and then use the new connect.php and config.php files.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #22
davenewt
Green Mole

Okay, am doing that... but I still don't see an easy way to index the entire site when my index.php file contains no static HTML links to my subdirectories' pages.

I found the line:
Code:
define(LIMIT_TO_DIRECTORY,true);        //limit index to directory, no sub dir, set in URL
in config.php which I thought might have something to do with it, but there were no single quotes around the variable name so I added them and changed the line to:
Code:
define('LIMIT_TO_DIRECTORY',false);        //limit index to directory, no sub dir, set in URL
to see if it made any difference, but no.

So even with this latest version, it seems I still need to spider all the subdirectories manually, yes?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:53 AM   #23
davenewt
Green Mole

Hmmm, there is no longer anything being put into my text_content directory. Nor is the spidering process picking up on basic links in the index file AGAIN. It seems we're back to the same stage as the last post on page 1 of this discussion. Which magically fixed itself (see first post of page 2) seemingly without me doing anything (that I remember). So I don't know what to do next. Back to square one
Old 07-14-2004, 01:02 AM   #24
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. Set define('LIMIT_TO_DIRECTORY',true); and then index http://www.domain.com/dir1/dir2/ or some such thing, assuming the page at dir1/dir2/ has links to other pages.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:02 AM   #25
davenewt
Green Mole

Ok, now I get:

Code:
SITE : http://knet/
Exclude paths :
- newsboard/
1:http://knet/index.php
(time : 00:00:05)
No link in temporary table

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

links found : 1
http://knet/index.php
Optimizing tables...
Indexing complete !
BUT there's a link to test.php in there which STILL isn't found (this is the problem I referred to above, which 'magically' fixed itself). Forget about subdirectories for a moment, I need it to start picking up bog-standard links again first

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:23 AM   #26
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. If you do an update after indexing the main page, does it start up?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:30 AM   #27
davenewt
Green Mole

Nope. Nothing. When I click on the Update Form button (after selecting the site, obviously) I get:

Code:
Found tree : 
Click on the cross to delete the branch
Click on the green sign to update it
Click on the noway sign to exclude from future indexings
Warning ! Exclude will delete indexed entries

[Back] to admin interface.
(i.e. nothing under "Found Tree:" - no documents, nothing
Old 07-14-2004, 02:32 AM   #28
Charter
Head Mole

Is http://knet/ pointed to 127.0.0.1 in the Hosts file?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:44 AM   #29
davenewt
Green Mole

No, only localhost. Maybe I should spider localhost then (seeing as I'm performing all this on the server)?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:45 AM   #30
Charter
Head Mole

Does it work with localhost?