PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > The Mole Hole

Old 07-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Charter
Head Mole

Mozilla Firefox

So I finally took the plunge and downloaded Firefox, and I'm liking the tabbing feature with several browsers open and only one application in the task bar. It's also cool that I no longer have to deny ActiveX scripts when viewing pages, plus there are some pretty neat plug-ins available. Firefox does have a different feel than IE and that's okay. I used to be a diehard Netscape fan, eventually moving to IE for compatability reasons, but now it's time to try Firefox and work on a few pages around here so they render correctly.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:24 PM   #2
synnalagma
Green Mole

By far the best browser, I think.

Check this extension http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/webdeveloper/ essential for web developper
synnalagma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
bloodjelly
Purple Mole

I switched to Firefox when word of that big IE bug came out - the one where a hacker could gain control of your computer just from you visiting an infected web page. Since then, I've never wanted to go back. Firefox is great. They're also very standards compliant, so tricks on webpages that got by on IE don't get by on Mozilla. If you're a webmaster, be sure to test your pages in Firefox/Mozilla since it's already a super popular browser, and it will make your HTML and XHTML coding mo betta!
bloodjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #4
sufehmi
Green Mole

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodjelly
I switched to Firefox when word of that big IE bug came out - the one where a hacker could gain control of your computer just from you visiting an infected web page.
There ARE Internet Explorer holes that's still to be fixed by Microsoft. Some even a few years old if I'm not mistaken.

Found this out the hard way when I was curious as to why my friend's computer kept on getting trashed by spyware and trojans (even after I installed firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, updated it with the latest critical updates, etc)
Then I found several websites detailing various security holes in IE that's still ignored by Microsoft.

Apparently, they simply have no incentive to fix it, since they already monopolise the browser market. Heck, I was told that IE is not even CSS 1.0 compliant.

Switched them to Firefox, and I haven't heard any complain from them since.

I wrote my experience here as information for others :
http://www.harrysufehmi.com/phpwiki/...indowsComputer

cheers, HS
sufehmi is offline   Reply With Quote