PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > The Mole Hole

Old 08-04-2003, 08:27 PM   #1
PCplayground
Green Mole

Punks

Punks and wanna-be punks and wanna-be of the wanna-be punks are so freaking stupid.

You have like 3 generations going on.

The real punks (30 years or so ago). The wanna-be punks (like 10 years ago) and now the wanna-be of the wanna-be's (now).

I cant stand the last one. These would fall under any pop band. These people think they are punk and whatnot.

Then you have the people that actually go to a different level of punkness. Mo-hawks, punk clothing etc. Now these people are not punk at all, but just a tad above these pop kids. Yet these non punks insult these pop kids trying to be punk. Its a terrible hypocrite circle.

Just venting...
Old 08-06-2003, 08:14 AM   #2
Crazy Tech
Green Mole

Well I agree with you, I see it every day. People just try to be something they are not and they fail miserably at it.
Crazy Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:12 AM   #3
maggiemel
Green Mole

Punk ruled!

I suppose I should be flattered -- I was a "real" punk (yes, I'm that old). There was a real punk scene 30 years ago, too -- the Ramones were my local heros (I grew up in a town about 5 miles from their hometown, Forest Hills), and the big names playing in downtown clubs like Max's Kansas City (gone but not forgotten) and CBGBs (still going strong) were Blondie, Talking Heads, the Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, etc. The bigger names got bigger venues (like the infamous oversold Clash concerts at Bonds, in Times Square.

Punk or "new-wave" was the counter-culture music and served as an outlet for those of us disaffected youth who could not bear the mainstream disco beat and disco fashions of the mid to late 70s. "Disco sucks," was the mantra.

As we pushed into the '80s we were immersed in hard-core punk, with bands like Black Flag from the west coast and Minor Threat from D.C.

Then I got too old to be a punk anymore so I got married and pregnant and became a mom instead.

I still like pop music with a punky edge, though! A couple of years ago I took in a Weezer concert at Roseland. My friend and I were the oldest people in there -- by 20 years easily! Oh to be young again!

Last edited by maggiemel; 08-06-2003 at 09:43 AM.
maggiemel is offline   Reply With Quote