PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > Coding & Tutorials

Old 07-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
cloefke
Green Mole

phpdig Help

I'm brand new to phpdig and need some help.

I use Yahoo webhosting for my site (I know... there are better), but the problem I have is that its a LARGE site as far as the amount of material available. I want to use phpdig for my Digital Library search, but Yahoo cuts all running scripts after 90 seconds, nevemind the fact that I'm the one paying for the bandwidth.

So, how in the world do I get phpdig to run a complete indexing/spider, and beat the time limit. I have thought of cron, but my knowledge of php removes that possibility, since I don't have a cluse on how to set it up, etc.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Chuck
cloefke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Dave A
Purple Mole

Hi Chuck, the idea of stopping any scripts running after 90 seconds does seem a little crazy to me and I am not sure if I would use them to host a site of mine.
My web spider is runnng usually around three hours a day so it would be imposible for me to function when things are like that, perhaps it might be worth you sending them an email and asking them why they run like that, they may be able to suggest a way around it for you.
I would let them know what software you are trying to use and see if they can suggest anything for you.
I had a few problems a few years ago when I rented a few meg of webspace and tried to then use it, but in the end I went over to dedicated servers so I could do what I liked.
Let me know how you get on with it..
Heaps of regards
Dave A
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
cloefke
Green Mole

Thanks Dave! I've emailed tech support on the issue. I honestly don't want to change hosts, but may have to ultimately.
cloefke is offline   Reply With Quote