PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > Feedback & News

Old 01-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #16
ZAP
Green Mole

I would definitely update (and make all my wacky custom changes again) if the new version includes phrase indexing. I almost didn't use phpDig originally because it lacked that feature. So many folks are now accostumed to using quotes to find phrases in web search engines that it confuses them when it doesn't work that way (and it doesn't return the results they want).
ZAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:36 PM   #17
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. Try the current demo and select 'exact phrase' when searching. For example, try searching on 'apache server' (without the quotes) and see the differences between the options. How does it seem?
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #18
ZAP
Green Mole

RE: New Features Inquiry

That's almost exactly what I was looking for. Good work! However I would suggest something a little bit different in the interface.

I personally like the way you set up the interface with AND/Exact Phrase/OR radio buttons, but it's not the same as other popular search engines do it (Google, etc.). I would prefer that people be able to type in the operators if they want them (including NOT and +/-), but that's not such a big deal to me since most people don't use them (on non-technical sites anyway). However I do think that phpDig should recognize exact phrase searches by quotation marks rather than a radio button if it's possible to do so.

There are two reasons I'd prefer it this way:

1. It's the way that other search engines work, and lots of people will just type it that way and never even look at the radio buttons.

2. It allows for multiple exact phrases, as well as mixes between the terms (e.g., "apache server" configuration, or "apache server" "user accounts", or even "apache server" configuration "user accounts" -root, etc.).

I know that this would involve some changes in the flow of your script, but it seems as if the indexing and search code is all there to do it this way now, so you might want to consider it.

Thanks for all the work and effort you put into this!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:20 PM   #19
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. I agree with your points, but the current database structure for PhpDig is not compatible with a quoted phrase such as you suggest and as is already written by me for this script (it's not GNU/GPL and this is not self-promotion - just pointing it out). Certainly, the TD script could be incorporated into PhpDig (currently they will NOT work together) but, given the PhpDig database structure already out there, the exact phrase button is what I am 'up to' so to speak.

Give me time. BUWAHAHAHA!
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:01 PM   #20
ZAP
Green Mole

Aha! Well your non-GPL script looks excellent (as well as cheap!), so personally I don't mind you plugging it. In fact, I'd be happy to pay you such a meager amount for all your work and help (though I'm a little concerned about surpassing my host's annoying 20-meg MySQL limit, so I would like to know more before I migrate).

Since the database structure is incompatible with the way I suggested, then the way you are currently modifying phpDig is an acceptable (and welcome) alternative.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:10 PM   #21
Charter
Head Mole

Hey, no problem. I've been thinking about a 'public' search script for a while and was blessed with the opportunity to continue the PhpDig project.

Call me weird, but I am very grateful to Antoine.

Anyway, any such 'public' script needs the backend, as these scripts by themselves cannot be the next 'Google' as such, if you know what I mean.