PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > Mod Requests

Old 04-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
chris33
Green Mole

Suggestions needed for pdf tracking mod

I have a directory full of pdfs that are now indexed and searchable by PhpDig.

I am looking to add a feature whereby when the user clicks on a search result (and consequently downloads a pdf file) a record is kept that that specific file was downloaded.

Then I'll make a separate app (or add it to the PhpDig admin page) that can display stats for all the pdfs (how many times each one was downloaded)

I'm new to PhpDig so I though that I would ask if anyone had a suggestion as to best go about this.

One idea i had :

I can manually edit the database: change the spider.path field for a all the pdf's from "pdf/" to "download.php?file="

download.php would handle the hand-off, writing a row to the DB and sending the user the file.

Is this the way to go about his or is there a better way?
chris33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
chris33
Green Mole

Suggestions needed for pdf tracking mod

I have a directory full of pdfs that are now indexed and searchable by PhpDig.

I am looking to add a feature whereby when the user clicks on a search result (and consequently downloads a pdf file) a record is kept that that specific file was downloaded.

Then I'll make a separate app (or add it to the PhpDig admin page) that can display stats for all the pdfs (how many times each one was downloaded)

I'm new to PhpDig so I though that I would ask if anyone had a suggestion as to best go about this.

One idea i had :

I can manually edit the database: change the spider.path field for a all the pdf's from "pdf/" to "download.php?file="

download.php would handle the hand-off, writing a row to the DB and sending the user the file.

Is this the way to go about his or is there a better way?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Charter
Head Mole

Why not just go to the admin panel, click the "Statistics" link and then click the "Last search clicks" link?
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
chris33
Green Mole

Hi, Charter

Well I need to keep a total of how many times each pdf was downloaded. Later I will also need to tag the downloads to specific users and throttle how many they can download.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
Charter
Head Mole

PhpDig doesn't keep track of specific users, but you can get totals by running the following query:
Code:
SELECT count(*),c_url FROM clicks GROUP BY c_url;
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
GunMuse
Green Mole

Use your server stats this is not a front side application issue. Awstats will tell you exactly how many downloaded the file. It should be on your server anyway.
GunMuse is offline   Reply With Quote