Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > Script Installation

Old 03-02-2004, 10:17 AM   #1
ronyotz
Green Mole

installing on IIS Server....

Hi
Im having a little bit of trouble installing phpdig on IIS server,
is it possible at all?
I have Windows xp pro and like i said IIS 5.
I tried to install it following the manual but because it is written for unix and apache, its kinda hard for me to follow.
Is it any other manual with a windows platform in mind?
Thank you anyone who can help.
ronyotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:13 PM   #2
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

I have phpdig installed on a Windows server website, and it wasn't easy. I ended up creating the database and tables manually, because install.php wouldn't work for me. (But install.php didn't work on my Apache server website either).

Indexing took a couple of tries to get that to work, too, because it kept hanging for some reason. Both times I had to manually clear the database tables and try again. It just doesn't play nice on a Windows server, but it will work if you have patience.

You will probably find that the admin interface won't accept your password, because of some limitations with IIS. What I did was change the config.php file to bypass security while I indexed my site, then set it back to requiring a password. Not the most convenient way to do things, but it worked for me.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll be glad to try and help if I can.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
ronyotz
Green Mole

Thanks for your info, but im fairly new at this, is it possible that you can give me or tell me where i can find a step by step guide on the installing issue, if its too much to ask, dont worry, and again thanks for your answer.
ronyotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

I can't give you step by step instructions because each person's web host and what they offer are different. What I can offer are some guidelines that should get you on your way. Here's how to go through the installation process manually.

Create your database on the web server. You'll have to check with your web host on exactly how to do that. Most have a control panel that you go through for this, but again, check with your web host for the particulars. Note the restriction that it can't be named phpdig. Your web host may have some names that they won't let you use either, so look for that in their documentation.

Create a username and password, with all privileges. Again, this is something you'll have to check with your web host on how to do.

Create the following directories on the web server and make sure they have write permission.
[PHPDIG_DIR]/text_content
[PHPDIG_DIR]/include
[PHPDIG_DIR]/admin/temp

You should be able to right click on those directories and see the permissions. When you start indexing your site (and you're not ready at this point yet), if you have trouble writing to any of those directories, you may have to check with your web host to make sure permission is properly set. (That happened to me on my Windows server website.)

Create your tables for your phpdig database. The easiest way to do this manually is to find where your web host provides a PHP administration command prompt. Again, this is something you'd have to check with your web host for. On my Linux website, I use phpMyAdmin, but on my site which is on a Windows server, I'm not sure what the software is called, but there's a command prompt in it. Copy and paste each individual command into the command prompt window from [PHPDIG_DIR]/sql/init_db.sql and run each command to create your tables. Note that the lines that start with # are comments; you don't need to copy them into the command prompt.

When you're done with that, enter the following command in the command prompt window:

SHOW TABLES

The rest of what you do is pretty straightforward in the phpdig installation documentation, so I won't repeat that here.

I can tell this is probably pretty unfamiliar territory to you, and I wish I could give you some hands-on guidance through the installation, but hopefully what I've given here will be enough to get you on your way.

As before, if you still have questions, feel free to ask. We're all glad to help.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote