PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > The Mole Hole

Old 03-14-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Charter
Head Mole

Legal Music Downloads

Hi. Legal music downloads are now coming of age on the Internet, charging around $0.99 a song. Do you think that's too much?

Thanks to vinyl-junkie for this question.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
bloodjelly
Purple Mole

No, I think that's a reasonable price. That still amounts to around $15 per CD (assuming an average of around that many songs), so they could lower it a little I guess to lure more people away from free music dowloading, but it seems pretty fair to me.
bloodjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodjelly
No, I think that's a reasonable price. That still amounts to around $15 per CD
I gotta weigh in with my two cents, since I was the one who suggested the question. I agree that it's a pretty reasonable price when matched against the cost of the average CD. Even if it worked out to be slightly more expensive, it would still be worth it because you could have just the songs you wanted on a CD.

I can only wonder why the industry was resistant to the idea of pay per download for so long. I believe one reason is that they've got a bunch of dinosaurs running the record companies. People who don't understand the power of the internet, much less how to harness it for their own advantage. Then there's the whole idea that illegal downloading was a small problem. When they discovered it wasn't and threatened their very existence, they panicked and started suing children to try and stop it! Bad move, in my opinion.

I think they're on the right track with making downloading legal. I just wish they had done it sooner. There are still far too many people out there who got used to getting something for nothing. It's going to be hard to convince them to pay for it, I think, at any price.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Josiah
Green Mole

Re: Legal Music Downloads

Quote:
bloodjelly said
No, I think that's a reasonable price. That still amounts to around $15 per CD
Actually, iTunes charges only about $10 per 15-song CD.
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote