PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > Script Installation

Old 08-11-2004, 03:17 AM   #1
Dave A
Purple Mole

Setup a system

Just ran it for the first time and it didn't go very well, it reported that it counldnt find the database.
The web host is held on a portland server and the address of the sql server is sql-01.portlandpremium.co.uk
I have a user name and a password, in the setup do I add the full address of the sever with the sql path to the .co.uk site.
Locahost was tried but it just trashed the lot.
The web site has around 250 mb space but the SQL is held on another system..

Any help would be appreciated
Regards
Dave Andrews
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Welcome to the forum, Dave!

Phpdig runs on a MySQL database, not a SQL server database.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
Dave A
Purple Mole

The server is a web host that runs MYSQL it's part of the hosting package that I have.
I have the server address, password and database name.
I did use phpadmin to upload the PHDIG data and it appeared to be setup but when I started to install (Run) the software it couldn't find the database.
I put in all the details of database name, password etc and then it either wrote to the root directory or wouldn't work.
When ever I ran it after that is listed all the missing files from the root directory.
I was informed by my hosting provider that the MYSQL database could be found at sql-01.portlandpremium.co.uk
So I am not sure what to do next with it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many regards
Dave Andrews
dave@business.mentor.port5.com
Old 08-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Oh, okay. It sounded like you might be trying to use a different kind of database with phpdig.

Sometimes the install script just doesn't work. Try defining the database manually, and do the same for the tables. Then continue with the rest of the installation procedure.

Let us know if you're still having problems or questions. We'll be glad to help.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
Dave A
Purple Mole

Thanks for your help and advice.
If I go to PHpmyadmin I can see that all the correct areas are set up in the MYSQL database.
It just seems as though the setup routine doesn't or isn't able to detect it.
I did delete all the files via ftp and tried again but the same happened,
I have also set up a link based web site using a different domain name and it also uses a MYSQL database and it installed first time and works easily but this PHPDIG is causing sleepless nights (GRIN!).
It's a pity that someone doesn't offer an installation service because they may be onto a winner.
Heck it's another sunny day in New Zealand

Wishing you all the best and thanks for your assistance.

Many regards
Dave Andrews
Old 08-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #6
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

For a nominal fee, I could be persuaded to do the setup for you. Just kidding.

Let me make sure I understand the problem. The database has been created, and now you're trying to use the setup process to create the tables, right? If that's the case, just go into phpMyAdmin and create them manually. It's really easy. Just run sql/init_db.sql, and that will get you fixed up. And you'll be able to get your sleep. zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 08-11-2004, 09:34 PM   #7
Dave A
Purple Mole

Hi ya,
thanks for your help but I have already done that part, at the phpadmin side I have uploaded the database file and all the parts show up listed down the left hand side where it shows the makeup of the database.
The database name is linknz and inside that are all the integrated parts for the PHpdig and yet when I run setup it doesn't connect to it.
If I set the settings as write to root or localhost it produces a heap of files called linknzdirs that appear at the top of the screen if I try to run the program again it gets worse!

It baffles me what is wrong..

All the best
Dave Andrews
Old 08-12-2004, 03:14 AM   #8
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Hi, Dave.

Now you've really got me confused. You setup the database and the tables because they show up in phpMyAdmin. You aren't still trying to run install.php, are you? You're done with the setup if you've done all that. Or do you mean you're trying to run index.php and it won't connect to your database? What error message are you getting?

I'm sure this problem can be solved, if we can just drill down to what's causing it.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:19 AM   #9
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

And another question. Are you using
sql-01.portlandpremium.co.uk or localhost for the database address? If your database is running on the same server as phpdig, you should be able to use localhost.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:38 AM   #10
Dave A
Purple Mole

I did try local host but it failed, also tried to use sql-01.portlandpremium.co.uk.
I can get past the fact that install refuses to run through with giving the database error. CAN't connect to database.
A few days back I tried local host and it wrote files everywhere and I had to clean it all off and start again.

It is the install page that falls over with connecting with the database even if I set it up manually before I run install.

Well it's 0040 here in NZ and I suppose that it will be another long night.

Thanks for your help guys....
If I post my user name, ftp details passowrds, database passwords I wonder it some one would load the thing up for me.

Many thanks for all your ideas folks.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #11
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

I'd be willing to do the setup for you, but better PM me. Don't ever post usernames/passwords, etc., in a public forum.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:25 PM   #12
Dave A
Purple Mole

This is new to me.
My email address at home is dave@business.mentor.port5.com perhaps you could email me and I would be willing to let you have my server details and passwords.
I'm based in New Zealand and I want to set up a small search engine to list community based web sites so that people can find stuff locally.

many regards
and thanks for your great help..
Dave
Old 08-15-2004, 03:19 PM   #13
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. When you get a "cannot connect to database" error is sounds like the connect.php file does not contain the correct info to connect to the database. As such, you need to make sure that the following constants are configured for the database you are trying to use:
PHP Code:
define('PHPDIG_DB_PREFIX','<dbprefix>');
define('PHPDIG_DB_HOST','<host>');
define('PHPDIG_DB_USER','<user>');
define('PHPDIG_DB_PASS','<pass>');
define('PHPDIG_DB_NAME','<database>'); 
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #14
Dave A
Purple Mole

Thanks for your help,
my old config looked like this.

// Connection configuration
if (!defined('PHPDIG_DB_NAME')) { // do not change this line
define('PHPDIG_DB_PREFIX','');
define('PHPDIG_DB_HOST','sql-01.portlandpremium.co.uk');
define('PHPDIG_DB_USER','username');
define('PHPDIG_DB_PASS','password');
define('PHPDIG_DB_NAME','database');

I did find out that my old hosting service wouldn't allow outside connections so I have changed my hosting provider and I will now wait until the domain name sorts itself out at some stage later so I will update all the new settings and try again.

Your input was very appreciated

Many thanks
Dave Andrews