PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > Coding & Tutorials

Old 11-26-2004, 04:31 PM   #1
chris44gw
Green Mole

Semi-Beginner General Question

I have used PHP before. I mainly use Flash while using PHP for all of the back end database processing and similar server side stuff. I recently had an interview where they needed someone who could program in 'PHP'. I checked out the companies websites and even though it has a .php ending, everything was straight HTML with a little javascript. My question is, what exactly is PHP used for besides server side processing. That's all I've ever used it for including cookies, MYSQL interactions, and form processing, but is their something else that I'm missing? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything 'major' and would appreciate anyone definitions of what it means to do something in PHP. Thanks for the knowledge.

Chris
chris44gw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

What you've described is mainly what PHP is used for. In addition, and depending on what a prospective employer might require, you might also need to know how to use object oriented PHP so that you could utilize code libraries such as PEAR.

If you'd like to know more about object oriented PHP, I would highly recommend the PHP Anthology, which is a two-volume set. Sample chapters can be downloaded from both books, one of which is an overview of object oriented PHP. Both books are excellent resources for solutions to common problems encountered by PHP programmers.

Hope this helps.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
chris44gw
Green Mole

Thanks

That's kind of what I thought. When the guy talked about it like it was this big thing I thought maybe I was missing something. I've seen the classes before but haven't used them. I bought and am waiting for them to get here the following books: 1)Advanced PHP for Web Professionals 2) Professional PHP4 Multimedia Programming
I'm hoping to get some more info that I didn't know before. I'll try and check out the ones you suggested also. Appreciate the response.
chris44gw is offline   Reply With Quote