PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > The Mole Hole

Old 07-15-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Microsoft Employee Accused Of Stealing AltaVista Source Code

This came from a recent newsletter I subscribe to. Read on:
Quote:
An intriguing coincidence has cropped up, feeding conspiracy theories aplenty, I'm sure. Two years ago, AltaVista was hacked and source code was swiped. The search company was later acquired by Yahoo! via Overture Services. As we know, MSN's search engine relies on Yahoo! technology. Now, the really strange part of this comes by way of an executed FBI arrest warrant, which resulted in the arrest of a Microsoft employee accused of the AltaVista break-in. Guess which department the charged party serves within Microsoft? Yep... MSN Search. I'm sure there is no corporate-sponsored malice involved, but I still find it a fascinating set of circumstances.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Charter
Head Mole

Oh, whether true or false, I'm fairly risk averse so whatever license is afforded, if it seems unclear, I lean to the check and make sure side, but as to blatant ripping, tsk, tsk, tsk.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote