PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > The Mole Hole

Old 08-22-2004, 12:46 AM   #1
WebDiva 2.0
Former Member

Some selling phpDig!

This site I found yesterday is selling phpDig! I didn't know if phpDig owner knows and it's not right some guy is doing this and making money off phpDig owner's hard work and efforts!

http://www.web-rich.co.uk/salespages/70scripts.php

Hey, love what you did with the forums! I have also 3.+ on my server and made lots of customizations to it. We have also some custom themes as well.
WebDiva 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

This isn't nice at all. Go get 'em, Charter!

I'd bet there are probably others in that package they're selling where the developers wouldn't be too happy.

Yep, I concur about the new forum layout. Nice!
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
Charter
Head Mole

If they are charging a download fee, they can do that. See here. However, if they are charging for separately licensed source code, that's another thing.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:32 AM   #4
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter
If they are charging a download fee, they can do that. See here. However, if they are charging for separately licensed source code, that's another thing.
Couldn't they just call it a "download fee" then, rather than say they're charging for the source code? Either way, you need to source code to run phpdig. No difference at all except semantics, and whether it abides by GNU/GPL.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Charter
Head Mole

The difference between (a) http://www.web-rich.co.uk/salespages/70scripts.php and (b) http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5118409935 (while it lasts) is that (a) provides the name PhpDig and they also make it clear that they are reselling the software for download, so a quick Google search will net you a PhpDig download for free.

However (b) hides the fact that they are reselling PhpDig and they also state "Sie erhalten unsere Lizenz übertragen für das komplette Suchmaschinen Script" and "Wir benachrichtigen den Hersteller das Sie unsere Lizenz übernommen haben" in their auction. These quotes mean "you will receive their license, transferred to you, for the complete search script" and "they will inform me, the manufacturer, that you took over their license" respectively. Huh?

That's the difference.
Attached Images
File Type: gif screen1.gif (22.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: gif screen2.gif (57.3 KB, 15 views)
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 AM   #6
firestarter
Green Mole

Hi Charter,

i have already had Contact to this Guy. He tolds me that it is ok to sell this Script and giave licences because they had done so much changes.

But all changes i can see are Contributions from here.

What you will do with him?

regards Frank
firestarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:35 AM   #7
manfred
Orange Mole

Have you seen this http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/38020.html. Check the homepage link and author info - is this stealing credits from original PhpDig site, I think so?
manfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:35 AM   #8
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

And a related question to the one firestarter asked. Is this the sort of thing that you're really paying for with your GNU/GPL membership? So that you have some legal backing to go after those who don't follow the rules for GNU/GPL licensed software?
Old 08-25-2004, 04:23 AM   #9
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred
Have you seen this http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/38020.html. Check the homepage link and author info - is this stealing credits from original PhpDig site, I think so?
Did you notice this one refers you to the phpdig website? I think this one is probably ok. It would be the ones who claim to have the right to sell the license to phpdig that I think is what Charter is against.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:31 AM   #10
Charter
Head Mole

All of the code changes posted on this site are GNU GPL also. See this.

Now people can sell GNU GPL software. See this, this, this, and this.

However if someone does pay a fee for GNU GPL software, s/he can offer the software on their site for free. See this.

Furthermore if someone does get a copy of the PhpDig software, s/he does not need to notify me about the copy. See this.

The GNU GPL states, "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed." See this.

So here is the conclusion:
  • http://www.web-rich.co.uk/salespages/70scripts.php :: This is okay assuming they include the copyright and GNU GPL license, which seems likely as they mention the PhpDig name and state that they are reselling the software with reseller rights no less.

• http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/38020.html leads to phpdig.de :: This is okay too assuming they include the copyright and GNU GPL license. Also manute talked with me about it after the fact, saying that he started his site because of a now defunct fee here and he wanted a German only site.

• http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5118409935 :: Now this is not okay because of this. At best they make a misrepresentation of, or change to, the GNU GPL license, but they may or may not have other violations such as removing the copyright.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #11
Dave A
Purple Mole

Bloody heck

I have just been reading through the thread.
Heck that is really nasty.
Someone sits down and develops some wonderful software, spends time supporting it by running a forum like this.
Then some complete dirt bag comes along and tries to rip Charter off.
It's not the money because there is none exchanged, it's his interlectual property rights that have been violated.
We may even have supported the buggers on this forum?
Perhaps we should all state where we downloaded it from, mine came down from the PHPDIG.net web site.
There has to be a way of doing something positive about this.
Why don't we all donate a few hours of spidering that web site of where the advert is in the hope that it buggers up the bandwidth or something.
Or we could resort to plain spam and inject a few emails to a few news groups using there email address, it would stuff them up for a day or two.
Heck I am glad that I didn't write it, I would be steaming!

It's bad when you see stuff like that..

Dave Andrews
Dave from Downunder!

Admin Edit: Vent, sure vent, but please do not do these type of things, as it will only reflect badly on this site and its members in the end.
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #12
Dave A
Purple Mole

Send our friend a card.

The domain is registered to this address, why not everyone send him or a card thanking him for the web site and then tell him useful things he can do with a large shovel.

DIG IT! with PHP...

Admin Edit: Vent, sure vent, but please do not do these type of things, as it will only reflect badly on this site and its members in the end.
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote