PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > How-to Forum

Old 08-19-2004, 01:41 AM   #1
octagon
Green Mole

new user needs "idiots" guide

Hi all,

in search for an easy to install and easy to use search engine for my own sites I found phpdig the best one to work with my outdated system (php4.0.5 only - explaination can be sent as private mail if someone want's to know - it would be to long to post here and I don't want to upset anyone).
I loaded and installed phpdig just 3 days ago and everything went fine. I already changed some things in the german language files, changed the variables $_SERVER, $_GET a.s.o. into $HTTP_???_VARS to be able to run it here under php4.0.5) spidered a few sites, did a few searches a.s.o. What I would like to do is to have the program on one domain (www.mydomain.com) only but search forms on other domains (www.notmydomain.com) too that use the main (and only) database at mydomain.com.

I am a beginner in all this php-html-cgi a.s.o. "stuff" and do this mainly as hobby (I would die of hunger if I had to make a living based on my current knowledge in this area). It is my understanding that I should replace the relative path with absolute paths in order to use a simple search form with ....action="http://mydomain.com/search.php.

All the domains that I want to connect to phpdig are on my computer here. The domains are set up as virtual hosts and installing phpdig in every domain but using the same database would work but I would like to just put a simple search.html or something like that into every domains doc-root.

Can someone here point me to some documentation so that I can learn what I have to do ?

Regards
Ulrich
octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #2
Charter
Head Mole

http://www.phpdig.net/showthread.php?threadid=1183

Basically all search form tags would need the action element to be the URL to the site holding PhpDig.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #3
octagon
Green Mole

Thanks, I found this out in the meantime and I inserted a search form in one of my other domains main page. I also found out how to get the search result displayed in a predefined template.
I have not yet found out what hidden field to include so that the search is only performed in a given URI and not in all the spidered URIs.
I have:
<form action='http://validate/phpdig/search.php' method='get'>
<input type='hidden' name='template_demo' value='custom.html'/>
and this works fine. It also works with the "real" URI of course.
I have not tried what I have to insert in:
<input type='hidden' name='site' value=''/>
<input type='hidden' name='path' value=''/>
as value and which other "hidden" variables can be used.

It's midnight here and I'll continue tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far.

BTW: I tested all functions of phpdig and with just changing the $_VARS into $HTTP_VARS everything works fine under php4.0.5

Regards
Ulrich
octagon is offline   Reply With Quote