PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > Troubleshooting

Old 05-18-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
steve_true
Green Mole

Question 404 Errors & only 1 page indexed

I am running PhpDig locally with W/2000Pro. The installation was not easy because no install.php file was included in the download. However, a little ingenuity won out. I set up the database with Phpmyadmin, cadged a database open include out of another routine of mine, added the Php language around the table setups in init_db.sql changed it to init_db.php, ran it and voila, tables.

However, I'll ignore the other errors that I got and solved using your forums and get right to the outstanding problems. When I run it with search depth of 10 and links_per of 10 the results are as follows:

Spidering in progress...

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found ...

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found ...

SITE : http://www.panapublishing.com/
Exclude paths :
- @NONE@
1:http://www.panapublishing.com/ (check mark is in pos. 1)
(time : 00:00:11)

No link in temporary table

links found : 1

http://www.panapublishing.com/
Optimizing tables...
Indexing complete !

[Back] to admin interface.

- - - - - - - - - -

I get a bunch of key words which I can view using Statistics but that is it. I've viewed your demo and I have no chance to use any templates and never have the option to see anything like is presented in the demo. There is no indication with the 404 errors as to what the error is for. The panapublishing site has several pages. It does NOT have a Robot.txt file, having been advised not to have one because some search engines bypass a site merely because of the presence of the Robot file. (??)

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steve
steve_true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Welcome to the forum, Steve!

I notice that the only links you have off your main page are like the following:
PHP Code:
<button class="continue" align="center" onclick="parent.location='retirepage2.php'">Next Page&gt;</button
According to phpdig documentation:
Quote:
Links can be in an AreaMap or frames. PhpDig supports relocations. Any syntax of HREF attribute is followed by Phpdig. Simple javascript links like window.open() or window.location() are followed too.
I don't know whether an "onclick" is the type of link phpdig will follow. I'm guessing it doesn't. That could be why you're having problems.

Try changing your links to regular <a href ... links. You'll probably have better results.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
steve_true
Green Mole

Exclamation

Good Morning Pat,

Thanks a bunch for your response. I did several hours of research on the net this morning because I want to use the Button html tag. What I finally found is that "onclick" is the way to link from the Button tag. An <a href won't work within a button tag on IE. However, and this is a big however, the Button tag was only supported by IE. I can't tell if it has been implemented by Netscape yet. I found a way around it suggested by one web author:

<button onclick="parent.location='retirepage2.php'"><a href="retirepage2.php">Next Page</a></button>

IE ignores the <a href because it won't recognize an imbedded <a within a button tag. Netscape ignores the <button but accepts the <a href.

However, PhpDig doesn't act any differently after I made these coding changes. So-o-o-o, I appreciate the help in finding my "other" browser problem, but still have 2 404 errors and only 1 link found. I'm not sure what to do next.

Thanks again!

Steve
Old 05-19-2004, 04:34 PM   #4
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

I only saw two links from your home page. I hope that isn't what phpdig is complaining about.

If you'd like some cool software to flesh out any 404's, check this out. They have a free version that works really great.

Hope this helps.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:10 AM   #5
steve_true
Green Mole

Good Morning Pat!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll download later today and check it out. I really appreciate all your help.

Steve True