PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > Mod Submissions

Old 01-31-2004, 01:33 AM   #1
JÿGius³
Green Mole

sponsored links

Hi people.

Since there are plenty of banner extraction tools,
you can choose one and call it in libs/search_function.php.
At the end of this file there is a banners() function in order to show sponsored links as well.
Banners() calls another function called adbanner(). You should
define adbanners() in libs/adbanners.php.
adbanner() calls your banner extraction tool in order to
select banners. adbanner() returns
a html chunk ready to be displayed.
Your template have to contain this tag
<phpdig:adbanner/> to show banners.
You can turn on this feature using a constant defined in config.php.

The submitted files contain comments in order to fully understand my little modifications.

Best regards.

Gius
Attached Files
File Type: zip phpdig-adbanner.zip (14.9 KB, 122 views)
JÿGius³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
snorkpants
Green Mole

Question

I'm fairly new to this. Have you got a working example with a banner extraction tool to look at?

Snorkx..
snorkpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:35 AM   #3
JÿGius³
Green Mole

Hi.

A working demo is coming soon.

JyGius
JÿGius³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:45 AM   #4
snorkpants
Green Mole

Cool

You mentioned that there are plenty of extraction tools available. What should I be looking for cos I can't find much about them. Do you have any links to share or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Snorkx
Old 04-23-2004, 04:46 AM   #5
alivin70
Orange Mole

Quote:
Originally posted by snorkpants
You mentioned that there are plenty of extraction tools available. What should I be looking for cos I can't find much about them. Do you have any links to share or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Snorkx
Look at this thread for more information on "sponsored links" in Phpdig.

For a working demo check this search engine
alivin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:41 AM   #6
RaGe
Green Mole

This thread is most likely confusing since there is no /libs/adbanners.php present in your mod, nor in any version of PhPdig, not even an example of such file exist that i have been able to find. I know you're not referring to snatching a file from a banner program like PhPAds and transplanting it into the PhPdig libs directory.

Your mod seems to rely on /libs/adbanners.php to function, care to include it or explain creating it?
RaGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:18 AM   #7
alivin70
Orange Mole

Quote:
Originally posted by RaGe
This thread is most likely confusing since there is no /libs/adbanners.php present in your mod, nor in any version of PhPdig, not even an example of such file exist that i have been able to find. I know you're not referring to snatching a file from a banner program like PhPAds and transplanting it into the PhPdig libs directory.

Your mod seems to rely on /libs/adbanners.php to function, care to include it or explain creating it?
Sorry for the confusion.

/libs/adbanner.php should be present (and the function banners() implemented) only if you activate "sponsored links" adding the following lines to config.php.

PHP Code:
define('SPONSORED_LINKS',1); 
I've already explained how to implement adbanner.php in this thread

The key point is the banner extraction from DB based on keywords of the query string. That point is completely dependent on the adserver you use.
I'm using a custom built adserver, so I can't figure out how let Phpdig work with another adserver.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:37 AM   #8
RaGe
Green Mole

For one Alvin, hats off to you, you're did a great job on the example engine listed above. Theres tons of banner systems like PhPbanners out there, the delima is you're the only person i've seen thusfar that has produced something similar to Google Adwords which is "exactly" what i need. I have DynAds and Adbanners both and neither of them do what i want.

Both DynAds and PhPBanners "can" deliver text banners which are activated by keywords, but DynAds want to deliver it only with an image, and PhPbanners wont deliver ads with a text link AND a description the way yours does. With this in mind, and with it also in mind that you appear to have developed your code yourself, it seems you hold the key to my completing my project.

If you can make your code, deliver multiple keyword ads per page, in the format that is shown on your example website, and if such can be controlled by some simple means, i will pay you for a copy of the code
RaGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:03 AM   #9
snorkpants
Green Mole

Ahh.. I've been thinking of it entirely differently. I've been working on some code based on this but rather than using a "banner extraction tool" I have been getting the results returned from the phpdig search and basing this for premium links. Therefore, the ads are only for sites you have listed. Ihave changed the main db to flag for premium listings, an expiry date and last viewed date so that the banners will be rotated fairly.

Is this what anyone was looking for? I will make this code available as soon as it's done.

I was also considering limiting the search returns for the main search to one result per domain as this is one of the problems I have found while coding the adbanner. I think a separate topic on this is in order tho.

Regards,

snorkpants
Old 04-29-2004, 07:03 AM   #10
alivin70
Orange Mole

Quote:
For one Alvin, hats off to you, you're did a great job on the example engine listed above. Theres tons of banner systems like PhPbanners out there, the delima is you're the only person i've seen thusfar that has produced something similar to Google Adwords which is "exactly" what i need. I have DynAds and Adbanners both and neither of them do what i want.

Thanks RaGe
We are working hard to customize Phpdig, adding new features and correcting bugs.

Quote:
Both DynAds and PhPBanners "can" deliver text banners which are activated by keywords, but DynAds want to deliver it only with an image, and PhPbanners wont deliver ads with a text link AND a description the way yours does. With this in mind, and with it also in mind that you appear to have developed your code yourself, it seems you hold the key to my completing my project.

If you can make your code, deliver multiple keyword ads per page, in the format that is shown on your example website, and if such can be controlled by some simple means, i will pay you for a copy of the code
You're welcome