PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > Mod Requests

Old 05-04-2004, 06:38 AM   #1
snorkpants
Green Mole

phpnuke integration

Hi,
Has anyone converted phpdig to reside as a module in phpnuke?

I would be interested if anyone has tried. I can't seem to get it working yet as it doesn't want to find the config file.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Snorkpants.
snorkpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
circusnews
Green Mole

I am looking to do exactly the same thing. Can you share with me what you have done so far?
circusnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
snorkpants
Green Mole

I have replied to your email too... Of course I'll share what I have done already.. although it's not a lot since I seem to have got a bit stuck. perhaps we can help each other out on it.

I'll pack the source up asap andlet you know

Regards,

Snorkx
Old 05-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
circusnews
Green Mole

I sent this via email as well. I have not started real work on the PHPNuke module yet, but I have done work on a number of other modules, and have dealt with this problem before. Causes vary, but when I get what you've done so far I can see if I can track down the cause. If not, I will try to use the aproach used by the folks over at TNG and create a glue layer between the two. We will make it work, of that I am sure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven Santos

Email : Steven@StevenSantos.com
Web : www.CircusNews.com
Postal: PO Box 620753
Newton, Ma. 02462
Old 05-21-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
ChadK
Green Mole

So.. anyone get this working?
ChadK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
circusnews
Green Mole

No, life has gotten in the way. I have blocked out some time to work on it next weekend, will post my results as I go.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:37 AM   #7
snorkpants
Green Mole

same here... had loads of work to do on other projects but will get back to it asasp.. main probs I'm having atm are that there are global vars going missing.

Will try to post summit soon.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:12 PM   #8
circusnews
Green Mole

Thats usually just missing or incorect include statements. If thats your biggest problem, then thats easy to fix. Mine has been mapping PHPDig vars to PHPNuke equivelents. If you have that solved, then you are several steps ahead of me.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
ChadK
Green Mole

Let us know when you get time to finish this
Old 05-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #10
circusnews
Green Mole

Or you could trow in and help with the development. Just a thought.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:29 PM   #11
ChadK
Green Mole

I'd love to but I'm an ASP guy.. I'd only screw up the PHP if I tried..

I suppose if there's a specific piece that isn't working I could debug that but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle the whole thing yet. I could assist.. but not sure how much help I'd be. Anyone have a project set up anywhere for this?
Old 05-29-2004, 08:13 AM   #12
circusnews
Green Mole

Nope, no project for it yet - but feel free to start one. At this point I am thinking that this is going to be a %50 rewrite of PHPDig to get it to work. And if I am going to go that far, I may as well make the whole thing work better.

Here are my thoughts on this:

- Database Abstraction

- APIs

- Seperate out PHPDig in to Nuke mods:

-- Crawler

-- Search Engine

-- Search interface/API

===========================================
Abstraction Layer.
One of the things that bugs me about PHPDig is that it only works with MySQL. If we are porting this to Nuke, lets take advantage of the database abstraction layer in Nuke.

API Abstraction Layer.
The more I think about it, the more I don't like the idea of trying to map PHPDig VARS to Nuke equivs. It's messy and problematic. Given the modular nature of the PHPDig code, if we are going to do this, lets do a rewrite with Nuke API's, and then rebuild a standalone option as well.

Modules.
The more I think about this, the more I think that it makes good design sence to have the crawler and search engine as seperate modules. By doing this, we also make it possible for others to develop additional add-ons to this system that we have not yet thought of.

Modules - The Crawler
PHPNuke has a lot of modules that would seem to act as natural starting places for the crawler to start (web links, news story links, etc), and more modules that are developed all the time. By seperating out the crawler, and providing a place to plug in, we can have the crawler automaticaly crawl these things (as set by admin)

Modules - The Search Engine
The search engine itself should be as modular as possible. Thankfuly, PHPDig is very modular.

As we do this, lets remember that PHPNuke already has a seach engine used for the site itself. While well intentioned, I hate it. It does however, have a lot of things we can learn from it

1. Searching the existing tables, and linking to the proper module search feature. While a big part of me does not like how this works, its a lot better than having PHPDig reindex the whole site. What I would really like is a method of allowing you to choose (via drop down menu) what index you want to search. I know it will get more complex than that, but so be it.

2. Off site searching. Lets continue to make it real easy for other site to include a seach bar.

Other thoughts?
Old 05-30-2004, 08:48 PM   #13
InvalidResponse
Green Mole

..hi.

I've got it wrapped for PostNuke using the older method of coding.. more similar to phpNuke.. I will put together some documentation if you guys are interested.. it should fold right into phpNuke..

..I only wrapped an index & search page.. so you'll need to administer it in the same way..

..let me know.
-IR
InvalidResponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:45 AM   #14
circusnews
Green Mole

I would love to see what you've done! My project will take more than a few weeks, and having something that just works now may be enough for my needs anyways.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:10 PM   #15
InvalidResponse
Green Mole

..sure thing..

I'll try to document it as easy as possible.. I was trying to go around the API, but found in some cases it was easier to mod it.

I also used a "post" method instead of "get" to hide the variables.. but you can opt to "get" them.

inclusion if the config.php file works fine for the UI (user interface), modularizing extends the core, so it doesn't mind.. the admin interface, won't cooperate being seperated from the core as it is..

it's a really cool little app.. v1.8.1 shows definite promise.

I thought I'd rewrite it into pnAPI compliance using smarty templating..but in comparing 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 I'm seeing some massive leaps in progress.

I'll type something up ASAP..

you can preview it @ http://www.mashdeco.com/phpdig.html

thanks..take care!
-IR
InvalidResponse is offline   Reply With Quote