PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > Coding & Tutorials

Old 02-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
chris44gw
Green Mole

file uploading

I have been searching this topic and not come up with any answers so hopefully someone knows how to do this. I'd like to know if there is a way to upload files to a server without using the form method of setting type="file".
The purpose being that this doesn't let you change the address of where you want the file to come from. My idea for doing this stems from a program in our company that one of my co-workers wrote. The people in the field have a program for them in access. Each day they have to transfer the data by clicking a button that sends it to the office via ftp. We would like to be able just have them click a link that sends the information to a php page. When the page is opened it would then write the file to the server. We need the program to be able to go to where the file is stored without the user having to locate it with a browse button. Trust me, these people do good to turn their computer on. It would save us alot of headaches just taking that step away from them.

If you know of a way to do this or have any suggestion for a better solution I'd appreciate any input. Thanks again.

-Chris
chris44gw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
Charter
Head Mole

PHP running server-side isn't going to automatically upload a client-side file; the browse button is needed. In order to automate uploads, you would need to write a program for your users to run on their personal machines and then deal with all the firewall issues that will abound when said program tries to run.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
chris44gw
Green Mole

Thanks for the help. I was affraid that was what the answer was. I'm going to try and see about some other solutions.
chris44gw is offline   Reply With Quote