PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > General Forums > The Mole Hole

Old 03-03-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Charter
Head Mole

Open or Close?

Hi. Should the forums remain open or close down?
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
paullind
Orange Mole

Yes !

If it wasn't for the forums I'ld of given up my attempt to install phpdig long ago.

Unless someone can compile all this useful information into a comprehensive help file/documentation this is the next best thing

Paul L

Last edited by paullind; 03-03-2004 at 02:49 PM.
paullind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

If you want people to use these scripts, I think the forum is essential. I had no problem installing phpdig on my Linux/Apache website, but did have problems with it on my Windows based site. Without the forums for support, I would have been forced to look for another website search engine for that site.

Now, if you want the forum to be more than just a question and answer place, it takes participation by the members. How do you get that? I think by doing what you're currently doing - asking thought provoking questions to try and stimulate discussion. If you keep at it, I think it will really take off. It just takes time and patience.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:09 AM   #4
renehaentjens
Orange Mole

Open software requires an open forum, I believe ;-)

This forum has been useful to me more than once and I try to share my own discoveries and ideas that might benefit others.

I hope we kan continue in this way.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:54 AM   #5
marb
Green Mole

In the short time that I'm use/test PHPDIG the forum for me is ferry helpfull.
So let it open please.

Marten
marb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #6
David J Harmon
Orange Mole

Charter if you need help with this forum tell me and I will help out much as I can. If you need I can park it over here I have plenty of space. What ever you need help on let me know.
David J Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
Charter
Head Mole

Hi David, and thanks for the offer. Space and bandwidth haven't been a problem so far, but I could use help with answering questions.

Sometimes people don't know if a question has already been answered, or where to look and what to search on to find an answer. Sometimes people are looking for individual coding, and I just don't have a lot of time to code individual requests.

I don't mind giving help at all, but it'd be great to get help answering these type of questions. Between the family, home, life, etcetera, there isn't much time left over.

Some tit for tat would really be nice.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Quote:
Originally posted by David J Harmon
Charter if you need help with this forum tell me and I will help out much as I can.
That goes for me, too. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep this forum running.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
Charter
Head Mole

Hi Pat, and thanks. Please see the post above yours.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:33 AM   #10
jerrywin5
Orange Mole

Without the forums, I would not have been able to learn as much as I have about PHPDIG. I think they are a necessity.

I am curious as to why you are asking the question. I think that such a question can make people wonder about the stability of the future of PHPDIG. Should they?

I’d really like to see the forums stay up and see PHPDIG continue to develop.
jerrywin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:31 PM   #11
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. On top of continued PhpDig development, the forums take extra effort on my part, so if they are not useful, then I should spend my free time doing something else.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:49 PM   #12
jerrywin5
Orange Mole

If someone were to take the time to create an FAQ based upon forum posts, you could free up a good deal of your time.

Also, more documentation would go a long way as well. I have found the documentation to be helpful but it lacks a lot of details. I still have questions about how PHPDIG works that I cannot find the answer to yet. Many things I learned about by taking the time to test PHPDIG. This has been time consuming and unproductive. A great deal of time could be saved by all if the documentation was more thorough.

The PHPDIG Web site defaults to the forums. If it instead provided (improved) product information and a link to the forums, people might not tend to post to the forums first and get their questions answered via the documentation and FAQ.

PHPDIG is going to continue to grow. It looks like it is seeing a big increase now. Doing some things now to keep the support burden down will be of great benefit to all both now and in the futute.
jerrywin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:29 PM   #13
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. Perhaps some day, but in the meantime, hopefully the documentation combined with the forums will suffice.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:48 AM   #14
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Quote:
Originally posted by jerrywin5
If someone were to take the time to create an FAQ based upon forum posts, you could free up a good deal of your time.
Excellent suggestion, and one I had been thinking about as well. I'll bet if we put our heads together, we could get at least a pretty good start on one.

I'm certainly willing to put in some time on that. It will have to wait until I get back home though, since I'm not there right now. Will devote some time this weekend if I can.