PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > How-to Forum

Old 11-05-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
AllKnightAccess
Green Mole

Red face Chaning name of user-agent?

If I wanted to change the name of the user-agent from phpdig to something else, which files and lines would I need to modify?
AllKnightAccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:18 AM   #2
Dave A
Purple Mole

I don't see the point in changing the user agent names. The software is open source and should be kept as is!
I would doubt if anyone would let you know to be honest.
PHPDIG is PHPDIG, and someone spend heaps of time writing it so why should people change the user agent name?
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:55 AM   #3
AllKnightAccess
Green Mole

But what if some sites have restricted phpdig in their robots.txt file, due to other webmasters abusing the bot? Then everyone that uses phpdig is blocked, when it could just be one particular instance that was intended to be blocked. There is no way to distiguish between one site's use of phpdig over another.

And, just because I am asking this question doesn't mean I am planning some malicious agenda. There are so many sites that use phpdig, and I wouldn't want there misuse, if any, to reflect my own use.
AllKnightAccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
Dave A
Purple Mole

Well if a web site owner has excluded Phpdig from indexing then we should obey there wishes, other wise it wouldn't be fair to just put the "Nosebag" into anyones server and just dig away.
If everyone started to just dig into hosts then all spiders would end up being banned or excluded.
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:07 AM   #5
jakeres
Green Mole

PHPdig stinks

TRUE, there is no point changing the name,
TRUE, somebody spend a great deal of time making it,
BUT, this doesn't mean is a great product, IS open source...and should be taken "as is"

btw, it's very very very SLOW..... and I got the proof that on my previosu post "How can make phpdig work faster" there is NO answer
jakeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
Slider
Orange Mole

Bite your toungue. I would agree that the forum is slow to answer questions, but I wouldn't agree that phpdig stinks. I havnt seen a product that was free to use and work this well. PhpDIg does a lot that I havnt seen in anything that was free and used for the same purpose. Just because it doesn't work the way you would have it work isn't to say it doesn't work the way it was intended. This is the reason for a forum to possobly find ways or mods to produce the results you are looking for. Possibly you will make something that will live up to everyones standards and with no complaints? Doubtful that will happen.

Generation X " I want it and I want it now" Go figure.
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:57 AM   #7
thematrixbe
Green Mole

Dave_A: your totaly wrong sorry to have to say. The user agent is the way you uniquely identify your crawler to the websites.

Imho its nearly mandatory to identify to the sites your crawling, so the sites know how to contact you in case of problems or if they wish to talk about excluding or including certain things.

You can change the user agent in the robot_functions.php file.

Just change the lines starting with:

Code:
."User-Agent:
thematrixbe is offline   Reply With Quote