PhpDig.net

Go Back   PhpDig.net > PhpDig Forums > Troubleshooting

Old 12-04-2003, 03:31 AM   #1
rafarspd
Orange Mole

Question Displayed Results formatting etc

Hi everyone

'Snippets' displays found search words in [meta name='KEYWORDS'], also the found search words on the page text.

'Summary' displays what is in [meta name='DESCRIPTION'] then starts with the text on the page, listing it from the body of the page until it reaches the display total set in [define('SUMMARY_DISPLAY_LENGTH',150);].

If a search word is in [meta name='KEYWORDS'] but not within the text of a page then that page will still be listed showing the snippet from the KEYWORDS. I am getting pages returned with two instances of the search word but no instances in the content and showing a relevance of 81.65 % when infact the relevance is 0%.

Is it possible to have the search words 'snippets' displayed without the [meta name='KEYWORDS'].
(Perhaps I should put the [meta name='KEYWORDS'] in <!-- phpdigInclude --><!-- phpdigExclude --> tags) or should I make sure that [meta name='KEYWORDS'] only has words that are contained in the text of the document.

If you wish to use PhpDig as a page content search engine then you realy only need the text contained in the viewable page to be indexed.

On summary, it looks like I am asking two things.
1. Is it possible to have the [meta name='DESCRIPTION'] displayed without the page text.
2. Can a page be ignored if there are no instances of the search word on the page even if the word appears in [meta name='KEYWORDS']. (I suppose this will affect the ranking percentage, perhaps [meta name='KEYWORDS'] should be ignored).

Unfortunately I also have another problem. As an example, look at 'http://www.rafars.org/information/council.html'. I can enter search words and get a returned page up to 'GENERAL SECTRETARY' but 'TECHNICAL OFFICER' or any below this appear not to return a search result.

Perhaps I expect to much!
Old 12-04-2003, 08:17 AM   #2
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. For the first portion, parts one and/or two, you might try commenting out array_push($text,$add_text); in the chunk of code given in this thread.

For the second portion, there seems to be an extraneous <!-- in the HTML.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
rafarspd
Orange Mole

Yes there was an extra <!--, caused by commenting out a portion of text that included some java script.
I have now removed that script and it will be stored in a text file untill I wish to use it again.
------------------------

Answer to the missing search results?

I have implemented a method of stopping email address spiders from extracting email addresses from a page. It uses java script.

Example:-

<script language="javascript">
<!-- // Hide
var showtext = "text-to-show"; var mp1 = "email-part1"; var mp2 = "email-part2.org"; document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + mp1 + "&#64" + mp2 + ">" + showtext + "</a>") //-->
</script>

I beleive that this javascript is what is causing PhpDig to fail in indexing portions of the text on the page.

I have succeeded in getting the required indexing by implementing the following:-

<!-- phpdigExclude -->
<script language="javascript">
<!-- // Hide
var showtext = "text-to-show"; var mp1 = "email-part1"; var mp2 = "email-part2.org"; document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + mp1 + "&#64" + mp2 + ">" + showtext + "</a>") //-->
</script>
<!-- phpdigInclude -->
<font color="#FFFFFF">text-to-show</font>

The last line is infact dummy text for PhpDig to find which replaces the text inside the java script, I have used a colour of white which blends in with my background.

Not the best way but acceptable as a work aroud.

Any other ideas!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
Charter
Head Mole

Hi. You could also set define('CHUNK_SIZE',2048); in the config file to be a lower value. Something like define('CHUNK_SIZE',200); should catch all of the titles. There is a trade off: small chunk size yields more processing. Of course, you could leave it the way you have it now too.
Responses are offered on a voluntary if/as time is available basis, no guarantees. Double posting or bumping threads will not get your question answered any faster. No support via PM or email, responses not guaranteed. Thank you for your comprehension.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote