View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 08:05 AM   #7
alivin70
Orange Mole

Quote:
Originally posted by druesome
Hi All,

I would gladly help in developing an algorithm for PHPDig. I want to find out first though, where in the scripts is the variable $weight being computed? I'm not that satisfied with the current relevance ranking. I want to give more weight/importance to the titles than the text. Thank you.
Hi drue
i'm also interested in hacking the page weighting, but I dindn't start it yet.

Maybe the documentation on my website could help you to find
the relevant piece of code.
look at this thread for more details.

I think it could be useful to add more parameters to adjust the weight of a result.
I'm not completely sure, but at the moment it's possible to change the relative weight of a page if the the keyword is found in the title. Looking at config.php i've found
define('TITLE_WEIGHT',3); //relative title weight

We can add weight for meta keywords or for other parameters.

The best thing to do is to put the weighting method in a function or class that can be developed separately from a person or a team. That function could be also easily customized for special purposes.

I the future we can think to implement the simplest Google algorithms of page ranking, for example the weight associated to links: if a page A contains a link named "word" to the page B and you search "word" in google, you will find page B before A, even if page B doesn't contain the keyword "word".
That's reasonable and is the base of Google power!

bye for now
Alivin70
alivin70 is offline   Reply With Quote