View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Dave A
Purple Mole

Spped questions

Yes I also have a heap of pages indexed, when it was on a hosted server and not a standalone, a search for say " Camp sites Auckland " could take up to 44 seconds, in some cases due to the processor usage and further pushed by Multiple searches at the same time.
Since then I found the best way around it was to set up the mysql database in the ram in the host (Cached) and I have set up a small Php code addition that stores previous searches for five days. So that searches are checked via the cache then run across the database.
If you try two searches that are identicle within twenty seconds the old search should remain in your hosts memory and so the time will be a heap shorter for the second search.
Since I am not the brightest bulb in the light house, it may well be worth someone having a look into storing the search results in other ways to see if we can all work out the problem of slow search speeds.
It could be a way of turning phpdig into something really special.
Everyone who uses Phpdig should be looking at ways of combining our knowledge and experiences to help each other, Charter and Vinyl Junky are brilliant and the support they offer, is really neat and we must bear in mind that support isn't guaranteed it's offered freely and must take a heap of time for them.
One thing that I had considered that might be useful would be a simple drop down chart/menu made of boxes with problems that answer yes or no too leading to the possible cure. It may save people time in searching the forums but it's just an idea.

I hope this helps you out, I have popped an email over to your email address found on your web site..

All the very best
Dave Andrews
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote