View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasa
I have not downloaded the code, or installed it yet. My host is on "all Windows" platform. All I wanted to get some estimates before I went and paid for a linux hosting just to try the code.
I didn't know you hadn't downloaded the code yet. Otherwise, you'd be able to look at the database structure yourself.

One thing that you might not be aware of is that phpdig will work on a Windows server. However, my own experience with that has been that it doesn't work very well there. You might have better luck than me though. I have been told that a Windows server settings can be tweaked so that phpdig will work pretty well, but I've never pursued that myself so I can offer you any insight on that.

Quote:
You seem to know a lot about this code... so here are a few questions:
I've got everyone fooled! Seriously, I really don't know that much about the code. I just know where to look up the answers to a lot of questions that are asked here in the forums.

Quote:
a) How is the data stored?
- Does the PhpDig store the URL, Title, Description, Keywords of the "crawled" pages in the mySQL database?
Yes, the database stores all those data elements in its tables.

Quote:
- Where are the actual INDEXED (text) content of the pages stored?
I'm not sure exactly what you need to know here. I can't speak for Charter (the forum owner/administrator), but if you're asking how the search engine works, the answer to that is probably beyond the scope of support offered in this forum.

Quote:
b) In your own installation, what are the sizes of the database and how long would a 2 word search take?
My own database has just over 1,500 pages indexed. When I do searches, it takes less than 1 second to retrieve the results.

Hope this answers your questions.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote