View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 03:40 AM   #7
renehaentjens
Orange Mole

Thanks Charter for being patient with me.

I understand your reply as follows:

For 1.8.0, in libs/search_function.php, replace the line:
$what_query_chars = "[^".$phpdig_words_chars[PHPDIG_ENCODING]." \'.\_~@#$:&\%/;,=-]+"; // epure chars \'._~@#$:&%/;,=-
by:
$what_query_chars = "[^".$phpdig_words_chars[PHPDIG_ENCODING].' \\'._~@#$:&%/;,=-]+'; // epure chars \'._~@#$:&%/;,=-

(The part after ENCODING]. reads: opening apostrophe, space, backslash-apostrophe, point, underline, ... - I'm having some trouble getting this into this forum post...)

Thanks for the pointers to the interesting debates on flat files vs. database. Of course the PhpDig case is different, because a database is already being used. The question then is why would anyone want to replace a table field which perfectly fits the purpose - you can always put a little bit more text in the field if needed - by a potentially very large number of files in one directory?

I'm biased, I admit. I have seen several cases in my career as developer where performance went drastically down when the application had to manage hundreds or thousands of little files in one directory, on Unix, Windows and other platforms. And we could never guarantee that the files would always remain in sync with the records in the database table...

Last edited by renehaentjens; 02-12-2004 at 03:44 AM.
renehaentjens is offline   Reply With Quote