Thread: Taking Requests
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2004, 04:34 AM   #13
gooseman
Green Mole

I like the fact that the google implementation is tried and tested and very easy to implement.

It will work really well for spelling corrections and suggestions*, but the phrase suggestions (spelling correct, but you'll get more hits with a similar suggested phrase) works on the statistical analysis of searches and common phrases on its indexed pages.

So, in my opinion, for spelling corrections, google API is really good. For phrase suggestions, you'd probably want something more customised to your individual site (or indexed pages).

For now, I'd say go with the google api, as it's there and simple to implement. A more custom solution should be targetted to suggesting phrases based on your actual page data set.

*it's interesting that google still doesn't return results for us/uk spelling crossovers or gives you the option for this - organisation and organization return completely different results. You have to search for 'organisations OR organizations' (Then is suggests - did you mean 'organizations OR organizations') - lol