Thread: Links found: 1
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 07:50 PM   #9
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

Quote:
Originally posted by CafeenMan
I suggest a "quick start" guide that has just the facts and nothing extra. Once the software is working, then those who want to go back and tweak it can read the more detailed documentation.
If there were a "one size fits all" way of circumventing problems that people have with it, I'm sure something could be written. It's just not all that straightforward on some servers.

I have my main site on Linux/Apache, and installing phpdig there was a piece of cake. However, go search through the archives here and you'll see a wealth of frustration I had with my IIS server site. It was such a pain on that site that I've never fully implemented phpdig there.

I'm a programmer by profession, but I recognize the importance of user friendly software. For the basic, no frills, phpdig installation, I don't see that anyone has to know php to be able to get this application up and running. Or that they have to be a whiz at solving server issues.

Perhaps I am biased, but most of the discussion I see in the forum is customization issues rather than installation problems. That's not to say that people don't have problems installing phpdig, but I just think percentage wise, there are fewer problems with that than there are customization issues.

Just my $0.02.

-------------------------------------------

I just saw your latest two posts. I would drop the C: from your relative script path and see if that does the trick. I don't know that anyone has tried setting this up from their desktop first, rather than a web server, so this one's a little out of my area of knowledge.

The list owner, Charter, has been missing in action for a while. Maybe he could help. I think he's been spending a lot of his free time working on the next build of phpdig.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote