View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 04:35 AM   #2
jerrywin5
Orange Mole

Out of respect for Charter, I have never been supportive of branching this project. However, It looks like things have dried up here due to lack of financial support for the project.

Although I think that PHPDig is great, I do agree with your analysis of the project. Breaking the project into the areas that you suggest is an excellent idea. I can see branching the crawler/indexer and reworking it under the same license. I would like to see commercial projects for the administration and the search engine. Such commercial projects could provide some financial support for the crawler/indexer project and encourage the involvement of new developers in the project.

I think the place to start is with the crawler/indexer. Just breaking it off on its own will get the process started. When people are able to use it on its own to accumulate valuable data, the desire to build commercial search engine modules to access the indexed data will be there and commercial administration modules will start showing up as well.

What do you think about these ideas, Charter?
jerrywin5 is offline   Reply With Quote