View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #1
vinyl-junkie
Purple Mole

v.1.8.5 member comments

First of all, I had no problems upgrading to 1.8.5. No worries there.

Charter, on behalf of all the phpdig community, I just want to say thanks for moving so quickly on this security issue. Your hard work is very much appreciated!

There is something that is kind of liberating in a way to just trash a production application like this and rebuild it from the ground up. No, I'm not being sarcastic when I say that. It really was fun to do this, as I didn't have to worry about all my customized code not working. With a temporary "search engine not available" page in place, I was free to do what I needed to get the upgrade in place and working properly. Plus, I didn't have to worry about my site's visitors getting some blank screen or a cryptic error message.

Anyway, thanks again, Charter, for doing such a great job in taking care of this problem.

p.s. - I forgot to add that as I was going through the upgrade process, I decided to empty my database tables and start from scratch. While doing that, I decided to try the "spider from a list" functionality. That was sooo much quicker than just letting it spider from the root. I was able to spider over 1,000 pages in about 15 minutes. I don't think I've ever been able to spider that many pages in that length of time before. Anyway, I am a very happy camper!

Last edited by vinyl-junkie; 12-12-2004 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added comment about spidering from a file list.
vinyl-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote