View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #18
ZAP
Green Mole

RE: New Features Inquiry

That's almost exactly what I was looking for. Good work! However I would suggest something a little bit different in the interface.

I personally like the way you set up the interface with AND/Exact Phrase/OR radio buttons, but it's not the same as other popular search engines do it (Google, etc.). I would prefer that people be able to type in the operators if they want them (including NOT and +/-), but that's not such a big deal to me since most people don't use them (on non-technical sites anyway). However I do think that phpDig should recognize exact phrase searches by quotation marks rather than a radio button if it's possible to do so.

There are two reasons I'd prefer it this way:

1. It's the way that other search engines work, and lots of people will just type it that way and never even look at the radio buttons.

2. It allows for multiple exact phrases, as well as mixes between the terms (e.g., "apache server" configuration, or "apache server" "user accounts", or even "apache server" configuration "user accounts" -root, etc.).

I know that this would involve some changes in the flow of your script, but it seems as if the indexing and search code is all there to do it this way now, so you might want to consider it.

Thanks for all the work and effort you put into this!
ZAP is offline   Reply With Quote