PhpDig.net

PhpDig.net (http://www.phpdig.net/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.phpdig.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Links found: 1 (http://www.phpdig.net/forum/showthread.php?t=931)

CafeenMan 05-11-2004 09:14 PM

Links found: 1

Frankly, I'm really frustrated with all this stuff. All I want is a simple site search engine that works. So far I haven't found anything that actually works.

I went through many threads on this site trying to figure out how to even install phpdig. Once I got it installed, it kept telling me that spidering was "locked" when it obviously wasn't doing anything.

A look in the DB confirmed that it hadn't done anything but write the URL in a table.

So I deleted all the tables and recreated them. I've tried indexing the site locally and from the web using 0 days and a depth of 20. I've even tried indexing my site map.

In every case it comes back with links found: 1.

Take a look and explain to me please why it is doing this and what I can do about it.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/

the site map

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/site_map.htm

Thanks,

Paul

CafeenMan 05-11-2004 09:15 PM

PS. The search that is currently on the site is something provided by my host that also doesn't work.

vinyl-junkie 05-12-2004 06:55 PM

I am able to spider your site, albeit very slowly. I suspect that's because of all your robots exclusions (my gosh, there's a lot!)

Are you sure you have your write permissions setup correctly? Check the program documentation on that. It's most likely what is tripping you up.

BTW, welcome to the forum! :D

CafeenMan 05-12-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vinyl-junkie
I am able to spider your site, albeit very slowly. I suspect that's because of all your robots exclusions (my gosh, there's a lot!)

Are you sure you have your write permissions setup correctly? Check the program documentation on that. It's most likely what is tripping you up.

BTW, welcome to the forum! :D

I wrote a few proggies to help me maintain the site. One small part of that creates a robots.txt file so that I wouldn't have to keep going through the site and try to figure out where I added new image folders, etc. So yeah, it's kind of big, but a click of a button to maintain. :)

problem is I can't get phpdig to work on my site locally. I'm running apache server on my desktop and having the same problem. I just don't get it. ???

vinyl-junkie 05-12-2004 07:29 PM

When you say that you're trying to get phpdig to work on your site locally, do you mean you're trying to run it from shell or a cron job?

CafeenMan 05-12-2004 07:29 PM

By the way, I really do not like PHP and every time I have to use it for anything I get really frustrated and aggravated. Even more so when I spend two hours debugging one line of code. :(

I'm sure phpdig is a good piece of software, but from what I've seen on this forum, it looks like a lot of people have problems getting it working. Then the light bulb comes on and they like it.

Usually that "light bulb" is somebody spoon feeding them an answer.

As a programmer, I know how we like to show everyone the cool features of our software, but as a user, I couldn't care less about the details. The coolest feature of any software is that it works and it's simple to use.

My point to all of that is I would like to suggest that you come up with a simple documentation so that users can get the software up and running without wading through all the details. There is just too much information in the documentation as it is and it's confusing.

I suggest a "quick start" guide that has just the facts and nothing extra. Once the software is working, then those who want to go back and tweak it can read the more detailed documentation.

Just my two cents.

CafeenMan 05-12-2004 07:33 PM

No. I don't know a cron job from a b*** job. :)

I have apache and mysql running on my desktop so that I can make sure my php pages work before I upload them to my web server. That's the only reason I maintain the site locally.

I created a folder on my local site called "search" and copied all the files for phpdig into that folder.

I had to make the "executable" line 0 as I found in some of the other threads to even get it to work at all. Then when I try to spider, it comes up with one link regardless of where I start from.

I got so frustrated with the whole thing last night that I deleted the folder and the db. If you think you can help me get this working I'll start over again. I still have the zip file.

CafeenMan 05-12-2004 07:41 PM

This is the path to my local site. Can I use a relative path in the index.php page?

C:\Apache2\htdocs\website\public_html\airfieldmodels.com\public_html

so the search folder would be

C:\Apache2\htdocs\website\public_html\airfieldmodels.com\public_html\search \

vinyl-junkie 05-12-2004 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CafeenMan
I suggest a "quick start" guide that has just the facts and nothing extra. Once the software is working, then those who want to go back and tweak it can read the more detailed documentation.
If there were a "one size fits all" way of circumventing problems that people have with it, I'm sure something could be written. It's just not all that straightforward on some servers.

I have my main site on Linux/Apache, and installing phpdig there was a piece of cake. However, go search through the archives here and you'll see a wealth of frustration I had with my IIS server site. It was such a pain on that site that I've never fully implemented phpdig there.

I'm a programmer by profession, but I recognize the importance of user friendly software. For the basic, no frills, phpdig installation, I don't see that anyone has to know php to be able to get this application up and running. Or that they have to be a whiz at solving server issues.

Perhaps I am biased, but most of the discussion I see in the forum is customization issues rather than installation problems. That's not to say that people don't have problems installing phpdig, but I just think percentage wise, there are fewer problems with that than there are customization issues.

Just my $0.02. :)

-------------------------------------------

I just saw your latest two posts. I would drop the C: from your relative script path and see if that does the trick. I don't know that anyone has tried setting this up from their desktop first, rather than a web server, so this one's a little out of my area of knowledge.

The list owner, Charter, has been missing in action for a while. Maybe he could help. I think he's been spending a lot of his free time working on the next build of phpdig.

CafeenMan 05-12-2004 08:08 PM

oops. I lied. The paths above are the actualy disk paths. When viewing the site under Apache, the actual path is

http://localhost/website/public_html...m/public_html/

Anyway, I think I'm going to keep looking for something simpler. I'm not getting anywhere with phpdig. :(

vinyl-junkie 05-12-2004 08:35 PM

Can't win 'em all. ;) Good luck in your search for something you like better.