PhpDig.net

PhpDig.net (http://www.phpdig.net/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.phpdig.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   MySQL Connections (http://www.phpdig.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138)

druesome 10-08-2003 11:15 PM

MySQL Connections

Hi again... this wouldn't exactly count as a 'troubleshooting' message... but anyway, i'm currently under a hosting plan that measures my mysql usage. and last check i made, i've exceeded my monthly limit and racked up $50 in charges!!! well, the only suspect this points to is phpdig (but i don't blame you, this is a great software!)... my question is, does the spidering process involve a lot of database connections? Here is my host's take on it:

Quote:

Generally, we include from 5 to 30 million conueries a month. If you require more, each extra million (per month) costs $5. However, you may upgrade your plan at any time to get more conueries whenever you'd like to avoid any overage charges.

We've instituted these limits in order help insure quality database service to all of our users. If you have heavy database requirements for your site, please contact our Support Team and let them know, and we'll do our best to work with you towards a long-term cost-effective solution for your site.
What should I do now? I want to continue using this software without paying extra! Is PhpDig too good to be true? Hope to hear from all of you. Thanks..

rayvd 10-09-2003 06:23 AM

Well, I just ran phpdig for the first time on a one moderately sized site last night. 630,000 queries. There are quite a few that happen when keywords are inserted into the database (one query per keyword), so multiply that times the number of pages and the avg number of words per page and it can add up.

I would think this would be fairly typical of any spidering software using keywords in a relational database like MySQL.

druesome 10-09-2003 10:40 AM

D*mn, this is really sad. I guess what I should do now is to make a strict and conservative spidering schedule then. I've contacted my webhost about this problem.... will keep you updated. Thanks.:(

Charter 10-09-2003 04:34 PM

Hi. This is not anything against your host - they could be the best in the world for all I know - but you might try checking out Servlets.com for written reviews about some other hosting companies.

druesome 10-10-2003 12:18 AM

Hi Charter, I guess you've figured out who my host is on your own.:) Actually if you just search for the word conueries in Google you'll know instantly since they claim to have invented the word.

Right now, moving to another host is out of the question, since I have done so much and just the idea of it sounds like a nightmare. I have contacted my webhost and told them that it was deceitful of them not to have informed us about these conueries. I have been with this webhost for five years but I have yet to receive or read an announcement concerning this issue. I also stated that I will not pay the $50 they have charged me until we have settled this issue amicably.

In the meantime, I am trying to find out ways to reduce the number of connections involved in my spidering. I've read about 'persistent connections' but I really don't know how to go about it with phpdig. Any ideas? Thanks..