PDA

View Full Version : returning results of internal & external sites

tryangle
04-17-2004, 06:17 AM
Hi,

How would I go about spidering a site that is on the server, since I don't access it as www. but everyone else does. Is there a way to spider the site so that the pages and links are returned as external to the server so they won't be dead links to everyone else.

TIA for your input on this,
Randy

vinyl-junkie
04-17-2004, 09:24 AM
If I understand what you're asking, you need to change the following option in config.php to true:
define('PHPDIG_IN_DOMAIN',false);

The comment about this statement in the documentation says://allows phpdig jump hosts in the same
//domain. If the host is "www.mydomain.tld",
//domain is "mydomain.tld"

tryangle
04-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Hi vinyl-junkie,

I read those notes in config.php but in terms of DNS, domain.tld is an A record... which is assigned an external IP address and a C name, like (www) is sortta mapped to the A record. So, it's basically mapped to the same (external) IP address. Anyway, the server can't be accessed from the lan via the external IP, it would have to have a different A record with an internal IP and C name mapped to that A record. If that makes sense...

I'm thinking I might be able to just run the spider on the site then update the database to reflect the www.

Any other ideas?