PDA

View Full Version : help request for design and development of a search engine

tonguim
03-28-2004, 06:40 AM
Hi,

i would like to design and develop a search engine with php/mysql. Do you think that this couple is good for this project? Why?

Do you know some web sites where i can get some training about (analyse, design, and programming) a search engine?

Thank you for your help

Ferdinand

managedlinks
03-28-2004, 05:31 PM
A search engine is a lot more than the displayed page

while php/mySQL is an ok choice for the front end, you need to consider the data source

are you going to spider your own links ?
or perhaps download data from DMOZ?
or subscribe to a ppc search engine
or just get people to submit links

If you are going to spider your own then you need to look into other technologies.

sorry I do not know of any particular site have you googled the problem ?

tonguim
03-31-2004, 10:31 PM
Good morning,

the search engine that i would like to design is for a 500 pages web site. Some persons said me
that i don't need to re-invent the wheel; i can use a existant search engine, and customize it for
my web site. What do you think about, please? Can you lead me to web sites which will help me on that
way?

Thank you for your help.

vinyl-junkie
04-01-2004, 06:48 AM
I guess it all depends on what specifically you are trying to accomplish when you talk about customizing a search engine for your website. phpDig is open source, and as such, is fully customizable.

Do you need some recommendations of good PHP/MySQL books so you'll know what you're doing when you try to modify the code? If so, there are some excellent books you can order through sitepoint.com.

Hope this helps. If you're looking for something else, let us know and we'll be glad to help. :)

tonguim
04-07-2004, 05:20 AM
vinyl-junkie, thank you for your answer.