PDA

View Full Version : feature proposal: real exact searching

manute
10-18-2003, 03:19 AM
hi!

what i miss a little bit is a real exact searching. in google you can take a complete sentence from a site, put it into "" and you definitely find it.
but phpdig doesn't really get along with "" right now, as it seems to me.

sid
10-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Ye, I think there should be a change in the algorithm adding: Boolean Searching , Quotation marks as manute said , a query string that is rapped in "" return exact searching and if you could do the hyphen (-) sign that excludes keywords (a current great PhpDig feature... then why can't you do quotation marks???????

And a little thing to think about:
Some , well, many site search scripts I know offer the 'Cached' version of that page and so does Google, I know this will require a lot of webspace, but is it possible to add the Cached function? And for those with less space, they can turn it of via config.php. A really good feature!

If PhpDig has all the features, I will call PhpDig from then on: The PHP Google!

Good luck!

Charter
10-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Hi. I'm working on a version to include quoted phrases. The reason that quoted phrases are not available in PhpDig 1.6.2 is that only keywords are stored in the database table.

Currently PhpDig loops through the keywords and decides what results to display. Because keywords are used, you can search "exact words" meaning find me results containing these two words.

Not sure if that made sense, but anyway I recently heard about ADOdb (http://php.weblogs.com/ADODB). It sounds pretty cool and allows caching of recordsets for a specified time.

manute
10-21-2003, 11:17 PM
yeah, now that you say it, it seems clear to me.
so exact searching would mean quite a big change. well actually it's not that important, but perhaps it's gonna work some time...