PDA

View Full Version : Joining it all together

griffinmt
09-30-2004, 12:14 PM
I need some 'directions' regarding the following (please!).

I have ApacheV2 installed on my Fedora Linux system and as such it seems to be working as expected.

After that, I installed PHPV4, and that seems to be working as expected, both with Apache and externally.

But now I have a need to install phpBB, which requires the use of a database. I downloaded and installed the MySQL rpm (V4) and using some documented tests, it seems to work with the MySQL client.

But what I fail to understand is just how I kick PHP to understand MySQL is installed and running, because when I try to install phpBB, it says that it cannot access MySQL.

If you need to know more, do not hesitate to ask!!

Thanks,
Martyn

Charter
09-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Try checking this (http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php) and/or check the phpBB configuration file to make sure the config variables match your database.

griffinmt
09-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the reply.

1/ Have checked those notes at the php site but not sure just how to proceed. I originally downloaded the binary rpms for php and mysql etc and they installed without an issue. Although I could load the source packages, don't know how to proceed from there - not fluent in manipulating this os yet. Is there somewhere I can check to see if the current configuration was compiled with the option already?

2/ phpBB doesn't have a config file -- yet. That gets built during the install. It does have a web form that, among other things, lets you select the database to use from a listbox. I selected MySQL4. If that is driving a process to go look for it, but it is using the wrong name or case for the search, I am not sure where to start to track it down.

Martyn