PDA

View Full Version : Confused - need help to install on win32 localhost

leegold
09-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Is the any support - instructions on how to install phpdig on a win32. I'm want to install it on "localhost". The instructions are for *nix and i can not follow:

"5) CHMOD the following directories to 777, or rwxrwxrwx, permission.

> [PHPDIG_DIR]/text_content (this folder holds text files from index)
> [PHPDIG_DIR]/includes (can be set to 755 after install completed)
> [PHPDIG_DIR]/admin/temp (temp directory inside the admin directory)

6) Now access http://www.yourdomain.com/[PHPDIG_DIR]/admin/install.php"

For 6) I really have no idea because the .php docs are in the apache htdoc folder in order to work, but there's no hint how to make the install script to work. The instructions say nothing about putting install.php in the htdoc folder...so I'm completely confused.

leegold
09-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Gosh, Anyone ever install phpdig on a win32 machine want to help me? Does it work on win32? Has it ever been done...or is it only for linux?

vinyl-junkie
09-04-2004, 07:49 AM
The installation for phpdig works about the same on a Windows server as it does for Linux. One problem you may run into on either Windows or Linux is not being able to use install.php to automatically install it. In that case, just create your database and tables manually.

Hope this helps. :)

leegold
09-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Again, I'm confused, please read my original post. How do I implement step 6? Is there anyone who can explain the installation procedure? :(

BulForce
09-04-2004, 10:42 AM
6) Now access http://www.yourdomain.com/[PHPDIG_DIR]/admin/install.php"

Must be 6) Now access http://localhost/[PHPDIG_DIR]/admin/install.php"

BulForce
09-04-2004, 10:44 AM
But you probably will need to install the slq tables by hand using the .sql file included with the download.

PS about the STEP 5, in windows there is no need to worry about it.

leegold
09-04-2004, 01:08 PM
php files will not work unless I put them in the htdocs folder in apache - the install doc. makes no metion of that re: install.php. So I think I better bail out of this. It looks like I don't have the enough knowledge to install w/out solid documentation. I need to be told what to do - I can't figure it out. Again .php will not execute unless the .php files are in the htdoc folder - there's no way to install following the documentation as it is. I'm lost. I think I better bail. :tired:

vinyl-junkie
09-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I have no idea what a htdocs folder is, but I've installed phpdig on a Windows server so I know it can be done. I had to install it manually, which was why I suggested that you do that.

If you have a utility such as phpMyAdmin on your web server, you can install the phpdig tables by hand. Defining your database is usually something that can be done through your control panel. Before giving up on phpdig, check with your web host and find out what kind of tools you have available. You might find that you can use phpdig after all.

Hope this helps.

Charter
09-07-2004, 03:56 PM
The htdocs folder is basically web root on localhost. Also see this (http://forums.apress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1910&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1).

leegold
09-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks for trying but all this is too obscure. If someone would write a tutorial it'd be nice. Simple step by step instructions. That's all, simple step by step instructions. I just don't see any documentation that enables me to get a toe-hold on an installation. I'm willing to creat MYSQL tables, to extract files where I need'm but I can't divine it out of thin air. I'll install Linux in a partition and run it from there, but it seems like the support assumes I'm a guru - like I know it without detailed docs. IMO, you're not supporting the sub-geniuses like me - I think the docs. should be beefed-up. Just my opinion.

leegold
09-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Again,
6) Now access http://www.yourdomain.com/[PHPDIG_DIR]/admin/install.php

Say I make C:\program files\phpdig folder (win32 obviously) and I extract all the phpdig-1.8.3.zip into that folder (which the install intructions say to do)... I mean the install instructions say essentially put the phpdig files into a folder,right? I mean they gotta be installed somewhere right? We install program files in the "program files" folder when using win32 normally. But .php files will only work in the apache htdoc folder. OK, so now look at 6) above. Now, how the heck can I access "install.php" it won't run the program files files folder were I installed it. I'm using my win32 pc as a testbed - I'm using the "localhost" deal with AMP OK? Do you understand?

One more time: the instructions say to install the phpdig files then access install.php. As the documentation is right now I can't not do it - do you see?

leegold
09-10-2004, 06:58 PM
typo:
Now, how the heck can I access "install.php" it won't run *IN* the "program files" folder were I installed it.....

Charter
09-11-2004, 05:52 AM
Of course install PhpDig where PHP will run on your server.

leegold
09-11-2004, 12:21 PM
> Of course install PhpDig where PHP will run on your server.

No more whining from me.
OK, it installed flawlessly and works like a charm.
Thanks!