PDA

View Full Version : RSS Feed For These Forums

vinyl-junkie
08-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Charter, do you have an easy way of creating RSS feeds for these forums? I was just wondering, because I'm a member of a few other forums that use vBulletin for their software, and users can elect to receive updates on forum topics via RSS. I'd like to have that here too if it's possible. Thanks.

Charter
08-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi, what version of vBulletin are they running?

vinyl-junkie
08-15-2004, 04:12 PM
SitePoint Forums (http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/index.php?) uses vBulletin 3.0.0 Beta 7. They offer some RSS feeds for featured forum threads, recent forum threads, and recent forum posts (here) (http://www.sitepoint.com/syndication/), but since this forum is much smaller than theirs, I'm sure an RSS feed for today's posts or going back say, 2 or 3 days would serve our purposes well.

Charter
08-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Maybe if I get the gumption to update or add a vB mod... :D

vinyl-junkie
08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm trying to find out if SitePoint developed their RSS feeds in-house or if they are something they were able to create with some features of vBulletin. I'll post any information I find out about that.

I created some RSS feeds for my website just a couple of weeks ago, and I was amazed how quickly I was able to do that, given that I didn't know a thing about how to create them before I started.

This is just one of those things I'd like to see added as a forum feature in your "spare time." :D

Charter
08-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Yeah, shouldn't be hard regardless, but "spare time" is the key. :D

vinyl-junkie
08-16-2004, 06:06 AM
Just a follow-up on this. Someone on the SitePoint forum said that vBulletin does have built-in RSS feeds that allow you to subscribe per forum. As I said originally, I don't think we'd need to drill down that far here. Just an RSS feed for the whole forum would be sufficient.

Also, I have no idea if the RSS feature is something that is only available in a newer version of vBulletin. Anyway, if you could see your way clear to add that feature sometime, it would sure be nice. :)