PDA

View Full Version : New Upgrade


CrazyCanuck
07-17-2004, 06:52 AM
1.8.0 to 1.8.3

My first time upgrading.
I copied all the new files over, now it seems like whatever I do I get an html error page with a few different warnings including Tables click missing. It seems like all the arguements in the update_to_181.sql.

How do I update the database?

vinyl-junkie
07-17-2004, 07:07 AM
When all else fails, read the directions. ;) No, I'm not making fun of you. I ran into the same thing myself until I read the installation instructions and found out there are new tables for this version.

Run the sql code in update_db_to_1_8_1.sql and update_db_to_1_8_2.sql to create those tables, and you shouldn't have any other problems.

ibrown
07-17-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by vinyl-junkie
When all else fails, read the directions. ;) No, I'm not making fun of you. I ran into the same thing myself until I read the installation instructions and found out there are new tables for this version.

Run the sql code in update_db_to_1_8_1.sql and update_db_to_1_8_2.sql to create those tables, and you shouldn't have any other problems.

:bang:

Aha! That is not in the installation instructions! I tried to upgrade from 1.8.0 to 1.8.3 but ran into major problems. Luckily I had a backup of my 1.8.0 files and was able to reinstall them over the 1.8.3 files and get my search engine working again.

I will have to look at what the benefits of upgrading to 1.8.3 are now, before I try any more.

Charter
07-17-2004, 08:11 AM
>> Aha! That is not in the installation instructions!

http://www.phpdig.net/navigation.php?action=doc#toc6 :D

vinyl-junkie
07-17-2004, 08:29 AM
This does point up the need for a better error message, I think. I reinstalled phpdig (with my original database still intact) and made some code customizations at the same time, so it was hard to distinguish between custom code errors and something that I should have had in place for a straight install/upgrade.

Not a big deal, but just a suggestion for something to include in the next release.

ibrown
07-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Charter
>> Aha! That is not in the installation instructions!

http://www.phpdig.net/navigation.php?action=doc#toc6 :D

Not quite as explicit as vinyl-junkie's instructions: "Run the sql code in update_db_to_1_8_1.sql and update_db_to_1_8_2.sql to create those tables" :D

I was also looking for an 'UPGRADE' instruction file in the .zip. Perhaps one could be inserted to save my forehead? And/or include a note in the 'Quick Installation Directions' to "See below for upgrading instructions" This would save a lot of hassle and headaches and blue language. :angel:

vinyl-junkie
07-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ibrown
I will have to look at what the benefits of upgrading to 1.8.3 are now, before I try any more. There is a changelog file which details the differences between the versions. I think you might want to upgrade. For one thing, the authorization security has been beefed up. :)

Wayne McBryde
07-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Umm I read the install instructions, but I know very little about running commands.

From a shell prompt i ran:
mysql update_db_to_1_8_2.sql

And get "Incorrect Database Name"

What am I doing wrong.

Thanks
Wayne McBryde

vinyl-junkie
07-26-2004, 06:16 PM
You need to run that from phpMyAdmin. Select your phpdig database. Then click on the SQL link, browse for the file name update_db_to_1_8_2.sql and click Open, then click Go to create the new tables.

Hope this helps. :)

Wayne McBryde
07-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Shazam I have 8 tables now not 7 like befor. Thanks